Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggggrrrr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Caught shoplifting in singapore
    I was arrested for shoplifting in singapore.. am on employment pass.. they have put me under offence 380 ch 244 and one more offence(misc.).. I was stelaing clothes worth $80 in one shop and in my bag unfortunately had 3 more clothes.. 2 with price tags of 225 $ each and one without tag.. but expensive skirt.. I told them skirt is a gift and the other two clothes I have shoplifted before getting caught.. what would be the consequences.. I have a clean record and first time offender.. and I am emotionaly disturbed because of living in an alien country for the first time all alone.. would I lose my job.. will I get jail term.. will they tell my employer... how to avoid press.. I really would kill myself rather than office people knowing about it... am also in mid life crisis around 35.. what ar4e chances that I will just be fined and allowed to continue my job
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

May 1, 2007, 07:16 AM
    From some brief research, I would be prepared for some jail time.

Hospital for Tropical Diseases online shop: health products and travel products for tropical holidays, backpacking holidays or adventure travel.
    Travelers are advised that shoplifting and theft are considered serious offenses in Singapore. Foreigners visiting Singapore and transiting Changi airport have received jail sentences for such offenses. Shopping centers, including at Changi airport, maintain sophisticated surveillance and recording equipment to prevent shoplifting and minor theft.
    Inside Singapore: Health & Safety - TripAdvisor
    Even shoplifting is considered a rather serious offense in Singapore, with penalties that include lengthy prison time.
    The High Commission of INDIA in Singapore
    Anybody found shoplifting is also liable to imprisonment or at the very least, fines from S$ 3000/- upwards.

May 1, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Thanks.. I have gone through entire internet on this... but the lawyer said I might just get away with fine.. and they would not inform employer... max jail sentence would be 1 month.. just want to confirm if this is true..

May 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
    How much jail time are you expecting BTW..
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Hello g:

I'm sure your lawyer IN Singapore, who is familiar with LOCAL law, and the particulars of YOUR case, is in a much better position to tell you what to expect, than strangers on the internet would. Doncha think? I'd go with his advice.

However, didn't they cain that American dude bloody a few years ago? I think they did. I don't think they like American lawbreakers over there, and I think you're in a whole lotta trouble. Not only do I think your employer is going to find out, I think they're going to put you in a cell with Bubbette.

I also don't think they care much about your mental problems. Actually, maybe their insane asylums are worse than their jails. Nahhh, I don't think I would say anything about that.

excon

May 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Thanks excon.. I do not know anyone in this strange place.. lawyer assured me.. still I am trying to find out myself as much as I can.. life is screwed up for me.. lawyer said.. private companies don't have access to police records and I will just work here for another 6 months and move.. they have become slightly lenient over the years is another thing people are telling me
    dil_2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 10:20 PM
    So what was the final verdict: were you allowed to carry on with your job? Could you enter again in Singapore after leaving the country?

I am asking all this as I have to sponsor EP for a lady who was convicted for sholifting a choclate worht $2.00 more than five years back. So I am not sure if that person will be allowed to enter Singapore or not?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:32 PM
    I remember when this post was made.
    I'm also curious of what the outcome was.

Oct 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
    I was nt charged because they thought am not a criminal.. I was left with a warning.. though am still frightened of the whole episode and live very very cautiously
    vaisktek Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggrrrr
    i was nt charged cus they thought am not a criminal.. i was left wih a warning.. though am still frightened of the whole episode and live very very cautiously

I am going from the same period as yours. I do a theft of singapore $20 item. They released me on bail. My bail term of two weeks has been finished but they still doing investigation. This is my first offence. How much time they will take to make a decision? Please suggest me I am feeling that I am in big trouble. Please help me.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Hello v:

Hire a lawyer.

excon
    paul1971 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggrrrr View Post
    i was nt charged cus they thought am not a criminal.. i was left wih a warning.. though am still frightened of the whole episode and live very very cautiously
    Same here... I shoplifted 2 pacs of sushi... worth $10... two weeks later need to go police station under charged act 380, cap 244... heard GGGGRRR recievs warning... but what is the warning?? Can GGGGRRR help me?. PLEASE!! I am in nightmare now...
    mallika3011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggrrrr View Post

Did they leave you with warning at the station itself or in court ? My friend is going through simialr experience and is very traumatised.
    How long did they take to sort out your case? They have asked her to be on bail for 2 weeks. Please help my friend
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 06:43 AM
    Hello m:

If your friend is out on bail, tell her to LEAVE the country and never look back.

excon
    light1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 05:26 PM

Hi I am on bail for shoplifting in Mustafa worth $22. They have charged me on section 380 ch 224. They have asked me to report in two weeks time. Will I be charged in the court or will they just fine. I am desperate to know. Please help me and tell me what happened in your case. Should I have to see a lawyer. Please advise me
    regret1601 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1971 View Post
    Same here... I shoplifted 2 pacs of sushi... worth $10... two weeks later need to go police station under charged act 380, cap 244..... heard GGGGRRR recievs warning.... but what is the warning??? can GGGGRRR help me??? .........PLEASE!!!!! I am in nightmare now....
    Hi can I know end up what happen to you ?
    light1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 04:28 PM

They just let me go with a warning. Thank God. But it's a lesson of a life time
    regret1601 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by light1973 View Post
    They just let me go with a warning. Thank God. But its a lesson of a life time
    I just shoplifted a cloth of $99. I so scared to be charged.. what did the police tell you ? Did you asked them not to charge you ?
    whatisnext Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Hi, what if you are convicted for the second time? First time I shoplifted things from BHG worth $80 bt the second time I stole an iPhone but it has already been returned to the owener. She threathen me tt she will call police and when I returned it, they call the police :(

But the reason why I stole the phone was to cover my final semester school fees. Will they show me any leniency? Will I get a sentence or a fine? If so how long and how muhc? I am terrified :( and I am not 21 yet. I'm 20 yrs old.

Please ans my question
    whatisnext Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Hi, what if you are convicted for the second time? First time I shoplifted things from BHG worth $80 bt the second time I stole an iPhone but it has already been returned to the owener. She threathen me tt she will call police and when I returned it, they call the police :(

But the reason why I stole the phone was to cover my final semester school fees. Will they show me any leniency? Will I get a sentence or a fine? If so how long and how muhc? I am terrified :( and I am not 21 yet. I'm 20 yrs old.

Please ans my question

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old caught shoplifting in Maryland [ 4 Answers ]

This is her first offense. The amount was $90. She is banned from all Kmarts either for life or 10 years, wasn't sure on the paper. Her and her friend. What do you think her punishment will be. She is 16 and we live in prince george's county Maryland. We will have to go to court.

What are my options after Caught shoplifting-first offence in Canada [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, I did this stupidest mistake last week. Yes it is shoplifting. I was caught shoplifting at Zellers , Ontario, Canada of $10 worth stuff. The LP officer took me to their back office, called cop and Cop got me this citation to appear in court next month. It happened last week, since then I...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search