Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miracle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Commitment phobia
    hi,
    I and my guy have been together for 10 and a half years. we have parted several times for short durations but keep coming back to each other. we really love each other but we have recently realised that he is commitment phobic...how do we overcome this..he is willing to but we don't know what to do?...we want to get married now...
    Tresbella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 04:18 AM
    If he is willing to get over his commintment phobia well that is the first real step. Knowing he has such a problem and wanting to fix it. I was with my guy for a year and 2 days before we were set to celebrate our 1 year anniversary he dropped the bomb on me that he did not believe we should be "committed" and "identified" as boyfriend and girlfriend. I am now in the process of leaving. In your case, you must hash things out. Openly communicate as to why he is scared to commit, what steps you guys want to take to help him ease his fears.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Communication is key! Why did you split up before and for how long? Has the spark gone, talk over your problems face to face.
    Lilywhite Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 10:20 AM
    I suffer from severe commitment phobia and it has ruined all my relationships and my marriage. I am just starting over again and I´m in my late forties.

I have been doing this dance of committing and avoiding, seducing and destroying for all these years, but I think it´s never too late to change.

Maybe we can help each other. First rule of business is to identify the problem, which your boyfriend has done (mine hasn´t and he´s over fifty). Then find out why you choose a man who has commitment phobia. We marry our unfinished businesses, as the saying goes.

I think that building self-confidence is the key and then we can begin to find good and healthy relationships. I will probably let my boyfriend go because he cannot commit and talking to him hasn´t helped. In fact, he´s not really a boyfriend, because he cannot even commit to being that.

Try talking to yours.

Best of luck,

Lily
    lavenderly Posts: 88, Reputation: 23

Jan 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Commitment phobia is so common nowadays. There are simply too many distractions for one to stay ignorant of the choices out there.

If your guy acknowledges (he does not need to take any actions, he only needs to believe) that there are still many "untested" markets out there, he will likely not be able to overcome being commitment phobic.

Commitment phobics are usually those who crave being in love and being loved in return. Yet, they cannot settle down perhaps due to their experiences in past relationships (such as being cheated on), having problematic childhood (such as divorced parents), or having too many dreams to chase after (such as career wise).

You need to talk to him and make him open up about his fears. Assure him about the things he is afraid of and get him to talk to others who had overcomed their commitment problems.

If things do not improve, there are many, many ebooks that can help you and him in this situation. Some comes with after-sales service such as a commitment phobic community. To change a man, it takes years. So do not force him to commit and get married now. It will not do u much good.

P.S. I've heard that once the right person comes along, the commitment phobia will eventually fade away. Can anyone tell me how true is this?
    Lilywhite Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
    "I've heard that once the right person comes along, the commitment phobia will eventually fade away. Can anyone tell me how true is this?"

It happened to me once. I met the love of my life and we decided to get married. I had no problems committing then. It felt "stronger than me", very fated.

Unfortunately, he wasnīt divorced, so he "vanished" just before the wedding. Throwing out the wedding dress and telling the guests and the priest there would be no wedding was certainly no fun. He lied to me about being totally divorced, but it wasnīt the case and he couldnīt face me to tell me the truth.

Obviously, I cannot say how the marriage would have been as it never took place, but this just made my commitmentphobia worse.

Regards,

Lily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lizard phobia [ 3 Answers ]

I am scared very much with lizards.What is solution

Social phobia [ 6 Answers ]

After 20 years of living in depression, I'm up to my wits! I am beginning to deal with it although there is one major problem that perhaps my depression revolves around. I have a deep fear of speaking to people. Even people I know. My heart jumps and I freak out. I've always been like that. I know...

Commitment Phobia? [ 24 Answers ]

I am dating someone that I believe has Commitment Phobia. He knows that he has commitment issues and knows that he has to work on them. I just received the whole, "we should slow things down" phrase right when he told me that his feelings were very very strong and that he likes me more than a...

Commitment phobia? [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of this? I was reading about how often the person in the relationship with this issue will come up with reasons as to why you shouldn't be together. However, they don't give you a reason. My boyfriend of almost two years did this my guess is because of two bad past...

Involuntary Commitment [ 1 Answers ]

Do anyone know how to have someone over the legal age of 21 committed to a alcohol treatment facility without their consent in the state of Maryland?? I thank you for any and all information. Dee_Cecil

View more questions Search