Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Pesky little fleas!
    My poor baby has fleas, bad! We live in Texas and there is a HUGE flea problem.

She had a visit with the vet today and he recommended Frontline (which they sold there at the office). I put it on her immediately when we got hime. She still seems to be itching but she has so much hair it's hard to tell if the fleas are still there. Plus, I don't know how long the medicine takes to work seeing as they sold me they medicine without instructions.

Labman, you mentioned Revolution... what kind of treatment is that? Is it like Frontline where you put it on their neck? I need something strong to keep the fleas off her.

Do I also need to treat my yard for the fleas? I live on 4 acres of land (of course she doesn't roam the entire place) she's only allowed in a small fenced in area when we're outside and she has to go potty. Should I treat that area?

I will do ANYTHING to keep her from being miserable this summer. Please help!

(Yes, I left the yard concern off my list of questions for the Vet today! :()
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Revolution is one of the things that you apply a little to the dog's neck once a month. I forget exactly why my vet explained it would be best for Aster 3 years ago. It had to do with the flea allergy she developed before the good stuff was in common use. I haven't seen a sign of fleas on either dog in the 3 summers I have used it. Of course before that, when I only had one healthy young dog in the house, I was doing nothing and not seeing many fleas.

As far as I know, Frontline should be fine. If the package doesn't have the directions you need, I would call the vet.

If you have a substantial flea population, you may need to treat the house and yard. You might give the Frontline a chance to work first.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 30, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Thanks again! :)
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 1, 2007, 12:22 AM
    The Frontline WILL kill the fleas on her, but they usually have time to bite before they die. Fleabites can itch for up to a week after the initial bite (think like mosquito bites on you!), so even though the fleas are dying your dog will still itch as long as the bites are there. You should be getting your yard treated if you know that you have a serious flea problem, as not only will your dog be miserable but fleas carry icky diseases and worms. Four acres is a lot to treat, but fleas do roam and can hop quite far in one bound. You may be able to treat an area around her pen along with in it and hope for the best.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
    I use frontline plus on my dogs.
    It's great stuff.
    It will take 24 hours for all the fleas that were on her at the time you applied it to be dead.
    After the 24 hour period, it will paralyze any additional flea that jumps on her before it has a chance to bite - then it shortly dies after that.
    Same goes for ticks.

It kills the fleas/ticks, eggs and the larva

After her current flea bites heal, she won't be itching from fleas anymore. (*edit, unfortunately it does not protect against mosquito bites)

The chemical works by being spread over your dogs body by the oil glands in the skin.
    It's waterproof, but it's not soap proof - even though it claims to be, they fail to mention that it HAS TO BE a shampoo that does not strip oils from the skin.
    So if she must have a bath for some reason,
    It would be best to wash her fur very lightly with a shampoo that does not strip oil from the skin.

Over all, it's a great product that is applied once every 4 weeks.

You may want to treat her area, just so that you don't have fleas breeding there. And your house so that you don't end up getting bit.

Fleas live and breed in carpet. The ones that don't jump on her and die could feed off you and your family and keep their nasty cycle going. (that is of course if you have them in your house)
    A real good vacuuming may do the trick though.

She's a real cutie!
    Good luck...
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Do You Deal With Pesky 'Cold Callers'? [ 7 Answers ]

Found this on the net just had to share. The best way to get rid of pesky 'cold callers'. I’m Sorry, I Can’t Talk Right Now….I’m “Breastfeeding.” Who would have thought that breastfeeding would have so many advantages? And I’m not talking about the whole brain development thing. Yeah,...

Cat Fleas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slight flea problem.. My cats have never been outside.. and my roommates cat stays in her room on the other side of the house.. where I have never ventured into... I have hardwood floors.. any thought of how they may be getting either into the house or from the other side of the house? 2....

How can I get rid of the fleas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 week old lab that has fleas. The fleas don't jump. They are to content. But I bathed her with puppy shampoo and they have all moved to her head around her eyes that haven't opened yet. What can I do or use?

Fleas [ 1 Answers ]

My female german shepherd got fleas during her pregnancy and we didn't think we could do anything about it but now all 11 pups have fleas also... what can we do about:confused: the puppies are 4 days old today. Thanks Martha

Fleas! [ 3 Answers ]

Home remedies for 12 week old beagle with fleas can't get rid of them. PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search