Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mithkr1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Student loan statute of limitations - NY
    I had a student loan that I have not made a payment on for over 12 years. It did not show up on my credit reports last year when I purchased my house. Now this year, my paychecks have been garnished with no notice (that I received). Is there a statute of limitations? I was under the impression from others that there was. Any information/ answers or someone to contact would greatly be appreciated.
    Dabidosan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
    Unfortunately there are no statute of limitations on any federal loans (including student loans). Reporting actually costs those agencies involved and some just plain forget to do so. Some student loans were eligible for dismissal for bankruptcy prior to Clinton changing the BKP laws in 1992 (however even for this to happen would have required for extreme hardship judgement, which rarely happened). Unfortunately it sounds like you're in a hardspot- you can move to Ma, Pa, Sc, Nc, Tx (B'c "they" can not garnish you in these states). Otherwise try to contact the guarantor of your loan to seek leniency by letting them know that you are willing to file for consolidation under the DOE William D. Ford consolidation program. (Granted- this will only work if your Fed loans were Staffords).
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
    I am fairly sure that student loans will never go away. They just arnt like other loans, you will prob never actually be able to be free of them unless you pay them off.The good news is that the lenders will usually work with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on DUI/DWI

Student loan statute of limitations [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is for student loans in alberta? Can a creditor collect after that period? I also heard that after a certain time Period debts are wiped off your credit report. Is this true and if so how long till Your credit is cleared?

Statute of Limitations on Student Loan Judgments [ 3 Answers ]

I had a judgment on a student loan. The judment was over ten years old. I thought the statute of limitations had run and therefore the judgment and the higher interest on the judgment were no longer valid. I have now been told judgments on student loans never expire. They do on other types...

Statute of limitations on a personal loan and promisary note [ 11 Answers ]

Okay this is the situation. I singed a promissary (sp) note on or around July 7th 2000, the loan was for $1,700. The promissary note did not state anything regarding interest. On October 24, 2000 she again loaned me $600 and on August 27th 2001 she sent me a check for $375.00 ( this was a gift, not...

Statute of Limitations [ 1 Answers ]

What are the statute of limitations for Manitoba, Canada?

View more questions Search