Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichiganGirl10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
    My English Bulldog
    I have an english bulldog and because it is summer time she overheats a lot. Well I am from MI so I too am getting used to it. Well I was wondering if anybody knew at all what other ideas they have of me keeping her cool down. Rigth now I have been giving her a cold bath twice a day. And it is really hard having to lift a 40 pound dog up and down from the tub. Please give me some suggestions if you have any. God Bless and Stay safe.

Crystal

www.myspace.com/crabtreerecords
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Apr 30, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Dear Girl 10,

Is your dog an outside dog?? If so, then maybe one of those cheap kiddie pools that your dog can climb in and out of by itself. It's real easy to keep clean, just dump and put fresh water in. My dog loves his. And it keeps him out of the fish pond and my fountain. Also provide a shelter from direct sunlight. Maybe just a small tarp that is tied high enough up to provide shade for her.
    Ace
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
    I'd suggest a kiddie pool too.

My dogs are indoor dogs but they still have a pool outside and they love it!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
    MichiganGirl10, please do as Ace and Akae have suggested. The tarp, or any kind of shelter from the sun, is also very important. Please don't give your dog any more baths. Dogs don't need baths that often. If your dog is just lying around panting, it is pretty normal. All dogs do that when it is hot. If she is whining and/or is very lethargic (I know, it is kind of hard to tell with Bulldogs) then she may have heatstroke. That comes from being out in the sun too long. So, just make sure she is in the shade and has plenty of water to drink. And, try the kiddie pool as suggested, instead of the baths. She will use it when she wants to and you won't have to keep guessing as to whether she is too hot or or not, in addition to the added benefit of not killing yourself trying to lift her into the tub twice a day. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 07:38 PM
    You can also use water spray bottles, although given a chance, most dogs would prefer a dip in a pool. The usual reaction I get from the water bottle is ''what did I do to deserve this?''.

Apr 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Thank you, everybody, for your response and advise back. My dog does love to be outside. But sometimes I have to be careful for I do have a 12 foot pool in the backyard without a fence or gate. She has been quite curiouse latley.

CL
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Even if you discourage her from going in, I would make sure there is something for her to get up on to get out if she does end up in the pool. Dogs have drowned because they got in and couldn't get out on their own.

May 3, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Well not only that but it is a proven fact that English Bulldogs can't swim. Because of their fat stubby legs and their buff body they sink. So she is only aloud in the kiddie pool.

Crystal
    elliey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Hi dogs don't have sweat glands all over there body like humans this is why they pant to help cool themselves down people get confused and think it's because there thirsty when this is not the case dogs cool down through there pads so keeping there pads cool like in a pool or with cold wet cloths will help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick bulldog! [ 7 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old English Bulldog, Her name is Neah. About 2 months ago I noticed she was peeing frequently, and pooping frequently but little by little. On top of that she was throwing up everywhere! I was so worried. We took her to the vet, said that she just hed some built up fluid and...

My bulldog has an oder [ 3 Answers ]

My bulldog has an oder and I try to bath her once a week. But after two days she smells again. What can I do? My bulldog is on a veggie and chicken dry dog food. She has very dry skin. :confused:

My sick bulldog [ 2 Answers ]

My bulldog keeps shakeing his jaw and lots of water coming out of his mouth often two to three times a day I have taken him to the vets and the have given him a clean bill of health can anyone give me advise on what could be causeing this problem a

Sick American Bulldog [ 4 Answers ]

What Should I Do My Dog Has Blood In Stool ,vomiting,weak,hot,&wont Eat Or Drink??

View more questions Search