Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vojtab Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2005, 11:22 PM
    Is it a hard drive?
    Hello,
    I'm running a clean computer (no spyware, etc.) but am having trouble starting almost any application (such as Gurunet, NAV 2005, MSIE, Family Tree Maker). Others stop functioning (freeze) after a while - such as Excel. Could this be a sign of a bad sector or HD? Is there a tool to identify this? Thank you for any help!

Apr 2, 2005, 11:43 PM
    In addition when I shut down my computer it gets stuck at Saving my settings...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2005, 05:34 AM
    It would help if you told us more about your machine. How old is it. What CPU, what version of Windows, how much RAM?

Have you done regular maintenance such a scandisk/chkdsk (error checking), defragging, purging temp internet files, etc.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Freezing
    Hi,
    My first thought is that your hard drive is full of clutter; junk files, temp files, taking up more space than they should.

I would try this first:

Download/install the great, free, cleaner, called CCleaner. You can set what cookies you want to keep, set other folders to clean out, etc.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It will do all the maintenance you need on junk files, with just 2 clicks!
    Once you have deleted all the temp and junk files, your computer should start behaving normally; if nothing else is wrong.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Apr 3, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Thanks for the help, ran the ccleaner, it sure cleaned a few things but the problems remained. A bit background:
    1.7Ghz, 768 RAM, Win XP Pro SP2, 3 year old comp.
    Issue started last week but not related to any new installation or so (I didn't do any of that). At the time of notice I had ICQ running for a bit. Current issues:
    - Clicking on IE gives me an hourglass but program never starts (I do see it appear in task manager but that's it). IE does start in Safe Mode
    - From the task bar I can start NAV 2005, it does open but freezes, I cannot do anything about it but close
    - Firefox starts just fine (that's how I communicate now)
    - Windows update doesn't work even in a safe mode
    - Outlook 2003 does start and even downloads mail for all my accounts but freezes on Hotmail(!), never happened before.
    - When shutting down/restarting my computer it gets stuck at saving my settings... (never happened before). This would suggest unwanted process running or bad HD sector. But I didn't have luck to identify either.
    - Family Tree Maker 2005 gets stuck after start up as well.
    - Other programs seem to work fine

My first thought was hijack.
    Ran HiJack This (nothing found), Spybot and Adaware - same results, now ccleaner has cleaned it up entirely but programs still do not function (unless I use Safe Mode). Any thoughts? Thank you all

Apr 3, 2005, 12:26 PM
    And yes, I've done defrag, scandisk, etc.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Is it a hard drive?
    Just a thought, have you tried doing a system restore?

Apr 4, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Couldn't do system restore because the Windows just wouldn't shut down and since I had to press the button, restore would fail (what a pain). Anyway, did a restore in Safe mode nad Voilą I'm back in the game. THANKS. What really bothers me though is that I don't know what the problem was, anyway, good exercise. Thanks again
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Hmm, sounds like something while running it normally may have been hanging it up, but yeah running it in safe mode will just run what's needed and get the job done, but do keep safe, have a av and spyware and adware removers handy!

Apr 4, 2005, 07:22 PM
    Exactly, you should see my toolbox now. 3 firewalls, NAV 2005, Microsoft Spyware, Spybot, Adaware, Ccleaner, HijackThis! Bad things are good for another. Thank you all for help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I installed a second hard drive and would like to know how to access it. Thanks.

Hard drive from a MAC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I was just wondering if it was possible to install and format a hard drive from an old apple mac into my windows PC (to save my buying another hard drive). Regards, Navarre

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

The computer I am working on won't boot Windows up all the way. When I turn the computer on it boots up the background then stalls with the background displayed but no icons or anything. I am assuming that my hard drive is bad... if not could you tell me any other diagnoses? Anyway, if my...

View more questions Search