Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Apr 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Don't know when to tell our parents we are expecting.
    A little over a week ago, I took a home pregnancy test, after being one week late, and found out that I am pregnant. My husband and I have only been trying for about 4 months, so we were excited when we found out. I am very nervous about telling my family, as they always haven't been supportive of my decisions, especially my mother. I am fearful of her reaction to this, should I wait to tell her, or just get it over with, as we cannot wait to tell my husbands family as we know they will share in our joy.
    Schollmeyer Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
    You 2 are married why be ashamed. It is part of making a family cherish it and be proud of your to be child
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Invite your parents over for dinner. Show them the household you have created. Then tell them about the baby.
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
    You have to tell them at some point, and leaving it longer and longer will just cause you undue stress. You are a married woman now, and this was something you really wanted, so don't let anyone else's opinion get in the way of your happiness!
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
    P.s. they may surprise you x
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I had my daughter at 35. I didn't tell my mother and my siblings until I was 4 months on because I thought they would think I was crazy for having one so late in life (I had a son 10 years old at the time). I thought they would react negatively or shocked.

They were delighted and started planning the shower and layette! Remember, this is your mother's grandbaby. I bet she surprises you.
    pickerill Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Just tell her now, if she is unhappy about it it doesn't matter because it is what you and your husband want so your mum will just have to get used to it.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Or, invite both families over and tell them together, that way your parents will see everyone is happy but them. Hopefully they will actually be happy and not just pretend to be. But this would avoid them being able to question your judgement and then they would basically have to accept it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 02:03 PM
    So just tell them, time will tell anyway. The main thing is why let someone else's problems get you down, send them a card, saying hi grandparents, leave them a voice mail if you don't want to talk to them.
    If they are on the internet, send them a email

Remember they will know at some point, and then can only add the complaint you did not tell them right away.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Cool it. Early miscarriages are heartbreakingly common. We had friends that became pregnant shortly after my wife did. Both wives had had a miscarriage not long before. By not telling everybody about my wife's, we spared many people much heartbreak and disappointment. When we did tell people, we lied about the due date. This spared us ''Well where is the baby?''. The other people had told everybody before the miscarriage. Her mother was asking her a couple times a week ''Have you caught again yet?''. Then after we had our baby, everybody was asking her when hers was coming.

Not having any real knowledge of this subject, I have avoided it, but your title in new posts caught my eye. I wanted to share what worked well for us.

A lot of the other answers sounded good to me too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't like my parents [ 15 Answers ]

:mad: I am a 13 year old who wants to let her parents who she hates them without actually telling them so I can finally tell them I what is in my head. What is the best approach?

How can I tell my parents ? [ 7 Answers ]

Can any 1 help me I'm so scared and nervous to tell my parents I want to sing but I don't no how I'm scared they won't like my voice or they don't take me seriously can any 1 help ? Please

How to tell my parents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm 16 and kind of like this guy who used to be my classmate. However, I' m now shifting to a new school. His parents know about me and like me, but I haven't told my parents yet. They got to know about us before and told me to break it off. They say it's not in our culture to date so I...

How to tell her parents? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dating a stright a student who is like the perfect daughter. Her parents don't know about me.. I hope... I want to take her to the movies for our 1st month since we started going out... her parents are mean.. and I don't want to get her in trouble... what do I do?

Parents [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just wanted to say my parents are splitting up, and I'm finding it really hard! I have moved away to a dance college and I get phone calls off my dad telling me to stay instead of coming home at weekends! But when I do come home he doesn't even talk to me! He just shakes his head as I walk...

View more questions Search