Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    js313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\
    I recently removed a second hard drive from my computer (Dell w/ Windows XP). Now I cannot install or uninstall programs because the drive path (E) is no longer there. I get an error message: Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\. I disabled the drive in the setup utility and it is no longer visible in disk management. How do I correct this?

Jeff
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 09:57 AM
    That's odd. Windows is always installed on C:. I can understand you not being able to uninstall programs which you had on E: but you get an error every time you try to install any program?
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Apr 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Sounds like your CD-ROM drive was E: before, and your two hard disk were C: and D:. Now that D:'s gone, the CD-ROM probably changed to D:.

To fix this, right-click on My Computer and select Manage. Click on Disk Management. Right-click the CD-ROM drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." in the menu. Select the D: and then click "Change." Select E: from the drop down list. Click OK twice, and then close Computer Management.

This should put your CD-ROM back on the drive letter Windows expects to find it at.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Ah, good one Northwind - that sounds right.
    js313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by js313
    I recently removed a second hard drive from my computer (Dell w/ Windows XP). Now I cannot install or uninstall programs because the drive path (E) is no longer there. I get an error message: Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\. I disabled the drive in the setup utility and it is no longer visible in disk management. How do I correct this?

Jeff
    To clarify: A:\ is a floppy disk drive, C:\ is the primary hard drive with windows XP, etc. D:\ is the DVD-RW drive and E:\ was the second hard drive which was removed. Now I can no longer install or uninstall programs because of the missing path.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 12:02 PM
    The only way you could get that error is if the installation routine was hardcoded to look for E: or if you have some persistent mapped drive paths that point to E:. Try using CCleaner to do Registry cleaning.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Apr 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
    I can understand if you cannot uninstall programs that were originally installed on E:. However, you are also unable to install new applications? Was part of the operating system stored on E?
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Dude, you disagreed with Northwind yet you had not explained your drive letter assignment in your first post. Were we supposed to know that because we are gods?
    drumm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 12:25 PM

I get this message when I try installing certain programs from the D drive as well as trying to uninstall some programs. I went through the disk maganement as suggested only to have programs I can no longer use. So I restored my system to an earlier date. ANy other suggestions for fixing this error message.

Chris
    guythatgoogled Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Just wanted to thank Northwind Dagas - I googled the error message, found this page, and the fix worked perfectly. Thanks again.
    grandmas71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Cd rw not recognized and runs path D. I later added DVD and it runs E but CDRW will not work at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invalid e:drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have been trying to download Windows Defender but I can't because I get invalid Drive e:\ message. I am not very computer literate so am not really sure about what to do. I thought I could Map Network Drive but I don't know which Folder to select. Also a colleague tried to install software for a...

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 1 Answers ]

In response to another post (yes, I'm just too anxious to respond with the answer that I couldnt' wait for sufficient priv's to reply with the answer) regarding installing JDK and getting an invalid drive error.. Scenario: - my My Documents is mapped to h:\ at the office - I have my laptop...

Invalid drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq p1,booable from FDD.I formatted it dos mood by command format c:/s.Now it boots,but when I insert win98 cd it does not know cd and sys invalid drive. I tried all drive letter.

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so I am trying to download java onto my computer because I need it for my web page building software. However, every time to go to download java, I get a message "Invalid Drive E:\" Well, I don't even have an E: drive, at least I don't think so, I have been going nuts on how to fix this...

View more questions Search