Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 07:51 AM
    PC shuts down before installing windows xp
    I have a 80gig maxtor hard drive and DVD writer connected on the same IDE cable, when I want to install windows xp or ubuntu linux the computer shuts down.

When I boot from dvd-rom window loads until that part of (starting windows) then it shuts down.

When I run ubuntu live cd it fully loads until I can use it completely but when I want to install it runs until partitioning then it shuts down...

Please help?
    :mad:
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 30, 2007, 08:09 AM
    You sort of answered your own question.

The CD rom should be on its own IDE, normally Secondary Master to avoid these kinds of issues.

Rearrange your drives to keep the CDrom as a secondary master.

If you have two hard drives, set them as master and slave on the primary IDE, CDrom as the secondary master.

If you have two cd roms, set them to be master and slave on the secondary IDE.

Don't use CS (cable select) jumper settings, use the master and slave settings instead.

Certain hard drives, have different jumper settings depending if a slave is present or not, so check for that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:14 AM
    I hope this helps because I figured using one IDE cable would be a problem and I bought a new IDE cable and I will try it out. I'll tell you the result when done!

Thanks man...
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Ohhhh, it had nothing to do with the IDE cable but the reason why it was switching off is because the heatsink did fully sit on the processor, so the CPU would get hot and switch the computer off...

This is a classic example, always double check!
    :o
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 3, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Glad you found the problem. Now that you have a second IDE cable, put it to good use for the cdrom :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Windows XP from MS-DOS... [ 9 Answers ]

Im trying to install XP, this PC is totally DOS no any windows installed so no shortcut installation to make... Here: Everything are all set partition and HD formated... A:\>smartdrv (enter) A:\>e: (enter) E:\>cd I386 (enter) E:\I386>winnt (enter) Then when the windows files is...

Installing retro fit windows [ 4 Answers ]

I installed our first window.Every thing went OK,it took a while but it was our first one.We will be installing more but first I need to do the trim around this first one first. Does anyone have any tips? I did not realize how bowed out the sides of the window hole is on the interior side until I...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error when installing windows xp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am Pradeep. I have a celeron 1.1 with mercury MB. I was running windowsxp for the past 6 months. Recently when I tried to re-install using bootable windowsxp cd the setup stopped saying that the : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with error code: STOP: 0X000000ED(0X812FBA5B, 0XC0000010,...

Automatic windows shuts down [ 7 Answers ]

I have been facing a problem which is related to internet connection. My computer is properly working when I am not using internet connection. But whenever I connect the internet connection, one message is displayed "Windows Automatically shutting down" or something like that. Is there any...

Installing Windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates? Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled? Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work? Thanks.

View more questions Search