Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Penster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Yard Man 20Hp Briggs and Stratton engine
    My lawn mower will start with a new or freshly charged battery. When you turn it off it will not crank unless you charge the battery again. My question is where is the alternator where I can take it off and exchange it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 06:58 AM
    You may have a bad alternator but I would check the battery first. I suspect you have a bad or shorted cell. Disconnect the cables and fully charge the battery. Wait a day and see if you still have 12+ vdc. If the voltage has dropped below 12 vdc with no load I would consider replacing the battery. You can check the alternator by placing your test leads on it while running the engine a nearly full throttle. You should read about 13 vdc.
    Penster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
    I went and got a good new battery and replaced it and still the same. I cranked it with the new battery ran it a while and turned it off to fill the gas tank. When I went to crank the mower to finish cutting my lawn the battery was dead again. I had to charge the battery to crank the mower to finish my lawn.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 07:41 AM
    You must have a short somewhere on the mower. Disconnect the battery and test the two cable leads for continuity. If there is continunity across the two cables you definitely have a short. I'd start with checking the ignition switch and starter and we'll go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 hp Briggs and Stratton engine won't start -TroyBilt mower [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and it won't start. The battery has been checked. I think it's the starter. Anyone know how to change the starter?

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

Briggs & Stratton 20hp won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yardman with a 20hp B & S Intek V-Twin engine. The mower was running OK when last used but, after stopping for about 1/2 hour, wouldn't restart. I replaced the plugs and checked spark - both OK. Replaced fuel filter. Fuel flowing through filter and pump, and reaching carburettor....

View more questions Search