Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeckyBarrell Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 03:06 AM
    What do I do?
    Hello everyone. I have a pregnant cat (she's called molly) I noticed she was pregnant about 2 weeks ago. She is due around the enf of may (approx!! ) and we are due to move house at the end of may as well. How will she cope with the stress? Will she run away and have the kittens in the wild? Will she eat them out of stress? I am so worried a really don't know what to do. I can't change our moving date. In general molly is very laid back and a real sweetie, but you never know how motherhood is going to effect them. Any answers or solutions of just general advice will be welcomed. Thanks, Becky
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 03:25 AM
    I know it would be expensive but you sound really attached to your cat, why don't you check her into your vet for a couple of days during your move so it won't disrupt her. That way you won't have to worry about the circumstances you describe.

Spaying would be a good idea after this litter.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Molly is going to go with the flow. Trust me. She is a part of your family. I have had cats all of my life. No, she's not going to eat her kittens. She is not going to have her litter out in the wild. She will know what is going on and will adjust to it. The important thing is for you to notice what is going on with her and make the appropriate accommodations for her, such as what might be called a "birthing box" in some circles. Cardboard box lined with soft cloths or towels placed in a secure place.
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 1, 2007, 12:41 AM
    A good solution would be for you to spay your cat after birth. There are so many feral cats out there, so many cats that are euthanized because they don't have good homes, it is very irresponsible of you to let an unspayed cat wander out and get pregnant.

There is also the abortion option. Personally, I'd rather have kittens aborted before they're conscious of pain rather them be born and live a horrible life scrounging for food or staying in a shelter, depressed, until being destroyed. Some 70% of cats in shelters are destroyed.

But ultimately it's your decision.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Is there a room at the new house, like a bathroom, that would be out of the way for you to take her to before you get started with the total move? That way, she's already there... you can put some towels and blankets in there as well as plenty of food (kitten chow free choice unti kittens weaned) and water. Or, you can do the opposite-set her up this way at your current location until you've done all the moving.
    BeckyBarrell Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfeather
    A good solution would be for you to spay your cat after birth. There are so many feral cats out there, so many cats that are euthanized because they don't have good homes, it is very irresponsible of you to let an unspayed cat wander out and get pregnant.

There is also the abortion option. Personally, I'd rather have kittens aborted before they're conscious of pain rather them be born and live a horrible life scrounging for food or staying in a shelter, depressed, until being destroyed. Some 70% of cats in shelters are destroyed.

But ultimately it's your decision.

I already have homes for 4 of them and they are not even born, I appreciate that it is not the ideal situation however it has happened and I am not going to have them aborted! I will have her spayed when she has given birth, whilst I appreciate you are entitled to your opinion I don't agree with you
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
    BeckyBarrell, I think placing a large-ish box in a main area of your house that is frequented by Molly would be beneficial. It will pick up the same smells as your house right now, and when it's time to move, Molly and the box could be placed in a bathroom or small room, and kept in there to prevent stress to her. I have moved twice with my two cats, and placing them in a bathroom has helped tremendously. I keep them in there constantly for the first 2-3 days, and then when my three kids are in bed and it's quiet at night, I let them out for a little stroll(closing all bedroom doors). They get to sniff around, and find out the layout of the new home. Then I repeat the night stroll for the next two or three evenings, then we let them have the run of the place. My cats are very sensitive to change, ie: throwing up when I go on a short trip, and crying whenever their routine isn't followed to their liking. But even with them being such prissy little things, they always do well with adjusting to the new home when I follow that schedule. How exciting for you! Enjoy your new babies to come. Blessings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search