Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhobag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Fallacies in writing
    I need an example of a fallacy in a newspaper editorial and one in an opinion magazine. :confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
    We are not allowed to give someone a direct answer when it pertains to homework.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/readin...board-b-u.html

With the above in mind, you need to familiarize yourself with the definition of fallacy.

Definition of fallacy - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know what an editorial is in a newpaper is don't you? If you don't: The editor of the newspaper writes what is know as an opinion piece. Every day he has a column in his newspaper that he has written. He writes about his opinion on a subject. It can be about the current war situation, local politics, people,. basically whatever he feels he wants to speak about.

Go to the library and start looking through all the newspapers you can. Find the editor's opinion piece in each paper. Look for one of his opinions that you believe is incorrect, false, or you just don't agree with. You need to be prepared to explain why you believe what he has written is a fallacy. The best way to do this is to be able to back up your views with something based on fact.

Same for an opinion magazine. In the library, you will find them. Look for scientific magazines, religious magazines, self-help magazines. The National Enquirer is constantly publishing articles that are full of fallacies.

Sorry this is the best I can do for you within the guidelines of the rules here. If you have specific questions, to make sure that you understand what a fallacy is, or if an article that you found might contain a fallacy but you aren't sure, post back & I will try to help as best as I can.
    abeeson01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhobag
    I need an example of a fallacy in a newspaper editorial and one in an opinion magazine. :confused:
    A fallacy in either case is referred to as a rhetorical device- a device used to persuade readers of the author's point of view on a subject. A few examples are: sarcasm, an argument from outrage, an argument from pity, rationalizing, scare tactics, wishful thinking, and peer pressure. Reading the articles carefully, you can easily spot these devices.
    deziedez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Comment on RubyPitbull's post
    You gave a great answer without actually tellng everything. Your explanation was very clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Fallacies [ 12 Answers ]

We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion.

Locating fallacies [ 9 Answers ]

I am having trouble locating a magazine article and newspaper articles containing Fallacies. I need this for my citicle thinking class. CAn you help me?

Examples of fallacies [ 2 Answers ]

What are examples of a fallacy from a newspaper editorial and an opinion magazine?

What is a fallacies? [ 2 Answers ]

We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consoderation within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into sthletic obilivon. What fallacies does this fall under and why? I have a final on fallacies and I have about 20 fallacies that is...

View more questions Search