Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldhousefan1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Old cast Iron Boiler
    Does anyone know anything about a Mills Cast Iron boiler, does it contain asbestos? Is it efficient? Should it be removed and replaced immediately? It looks really old, black, with name plate "Mills Boiler" in red letters above a wrought iron grate. It is in an old house that I am interested in purchasing.

It has what is called a "hartford loop" any explanations of what this is? Thanks in advance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Please contact the company direct. Have your model and serial number ready. They should be able to answer all your questions and concerns.NOTE: Smith uses the Mills name on there boiler line. I believe you have a very old boiler. Hartford loop is a piping setup that was originally required by the Hartford Insurance Company. It soon became a requirement of every insurance company and boiler manufacturer because it was a much safer boiler install with the Hartford loop.

Smith Cast Iron Boilers
    260 North Elm Street
    Westfield, MA 01085

TEL: (413) 562-9631

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron to PVC [ 5 Answers ]

We would like to put an offer on a house built in the 50's. It has cast iron plumbing and we possibly would like to change that to PVC throughout the house before remodeling. It is on a slab and a brick home. It is 2600 sq.ft. with 3 bathrooms. Is there anyway I can get a rough estimate on what...

Cast iron replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning to replace the cast iron sewer line in the basement floor. The house is older and the drainage lines to the cast clean out are 3 inch copper adapted to the cast at the clean out unit. I see no problem connecting the 3 inch copper to 3 inch ABS before the new clean out, and...

Cast iron problem [ 1 Answers ]

Problem-- mortar, thin set and/ or grout got poured in tub drain on 4th floor and hardened. Can not get material to break free. Went into ceiling on 3rd floor and found 1 1/2" Pipe going to tub with cast iron pipe going into chase. WHAT IS EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE P-TRAP

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

How to remove cast iron [ 6 Answers ]

I have some sewage pipes in my basement that I have to remove because one of them is cracking and leaking. The problem is that I can't get the joints apart. Does anyone know how to remove the sealing compound for old cast iron pipes. They were put in around 1945 so I am pretty sure that there is...

View more questions Search