Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Am I killing my crêpe myrtle?
    My husband has spent the last 3 weekends building a retaining wall type of flower bed on our sloping lot and backfilled with clean topfill.

We have a very large crêpe myrtle approximately 20 years old that was at the end of the flowerbed which now has approximately 6 -8 inches more dirt around its base.

Our neighbor who has something to say about everybody's yard project came by and made a wisecrack about our tree being dead within a year.

I would hate for this old fart to be right, but is he? Will the extra dirt that we added to the raised bed harm our lovely tree?
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Anyone have a suggestion?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Bringing this back to the top in the morning to see if morning folks know!
    roadrunner41559 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I'm not sure about the crêpe myrtle but if it were roses they would die for sure, so the old man may be right. I would try to remove some of the dirt just around the trunk.
    agrarian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Many plants do not like soil too far above the crown of the plant, where the roots start to flare out in the soil. I do not know about crêpe myrtles in particular. If you pull soil back and allow a basin around the plant you may be okay. However, you do not want water to stand for extended periods in contact with the trunk/stem either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My parents are killing me [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some help, so please take time to read through my long post. I was born in a conservative society. My parents went lots of hardships to bring me up. They loved me as a child and I loved them too. I was young so we didn't have any problems back then. Then my dad moved to...

He's killing me (not litteraly) [ 4 Answers ]

But its true there's this guy I like he's cute funny and were verry similar he's one of the few people who understands me and how I hide my emotions but we have one suttle personality diffrence I'm friends with this guy he's gotten in a fist fight in twice. I'm not sure if its because of that but...

My jaw is killing me! [ 3 Answers ]

First off I'll start by saying that I do have a cold, but don't know whether that makes a difference or not. Anyway, yesterday we went out for dinner, and about 30 minutes later, my jaw REALLY started to hurt. It hurt through the right side of my jaw, to my ear, up to my temple/eye. I took 2...

Killing them bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Anybody here know what the best product to kill them bugs around the outside of your home is. A lot seep to recommend tempo wp/sc. I will be killing mostly spiders but I need something with a good range of killing ability. Also what is the best way of application for this product i.e. use in a low...

Crêpe sole shoes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to clean crêpe sole shoes and boots before storing for the summer. I have had them become sticky and had to discard the boots. Thanks

View more questions Search