Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 29, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Gaps in my resume
    I am 53, haven't worked for over 11 years due to health problems. I still have health problems with my back and my knees do to arthritis, disc problems and spinal stenosis, which affects the nerves and causes much damage, is worsening and has affected my bladder making me use the bathroom a lot. Can't stand very long (5 minutes) or walk without excrutiating pain. Needlesss to say I am not a good candidate for a job. Ha Ha I have long gaps in my work history. I thought I could work from home doing call center work, when I find jobs to apply for that is. I still must submit a resume and will need to explain my gaps in my work history. In one job application it asked: why do want to work from home? I can't put down due to health problems. I would assume they would feel that I will be too sick to work. I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.:)

Apr 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I worked in a doctors office in 2000 and was fired after 2 months when they saw that I had back pain.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 09:36 PM
    For gaps in your resume, you might want to consider using the following type of format.

From http://www.susanireland.com/resumeguide/format.html

Functional Resume
    The functional format presents your experience under skill headings, giving you the freedom to prioritize your accomplishments by impact rather than by chronology. In this format, your work history is listed very concisely in a section separate from your achievements. (See template for functional format.)

The functional format is most useful when:

You are changing careers.

You are reentering the job market.

You need to emphasize skills or experience from an early part of your work history.

Your volunteer experience is relevant and needs to be highlighted.

Your most recent position is not impressive.

Your job titles don't accurately reflect the level of responsibility you had.

May 7, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Thank you Clough.:) I still don't know how to handle my health problems on an interview.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
    You might like to go through a temp agency. You could certainly be upfront with them. I am sure that they would be sympathetic to your condition and needs. Instead of you doing the looking for a job, they would be doing it for you. Just might find one that would be the ideal "fit" concerning working from home. They would also be able to give you adivice as to what jobs you could do.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Here is a site about questions that places cannot ask you. You might want to check it out.

How to Handle Illegal Interview Questions

May 7, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Thanks Clough!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

Moved in a few months ago, Hardwood Floor Gaps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I moved into a townhome style condo a few months ago. It came with hardwood floors. I really know nothing about hardwood floors so I can't really tell you much about it. I know its very thin Oak. My problem has been over the winter here. In couple of spots around the house: I have noticed...

Studor air gaps [ 2 Answers ]

I have checked out the Studor web site that Speedball reccomends and they say you can use their air gap and not go through the roof with the vent stack. Unless I missed it I haven't found any mention in any of the threads on here about venting this way. We are almost ready to go through the roof...

View more questions Search