Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherlem Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Giving out a phone number.cheating?
    I'm scaling down my original question just to get some "black & white" answers.

Is giving out a phone number, while on a break (when you aren't supposed to see other people) considered cheating? Is this breakup worthy?
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Apr 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
    While I wouldn't technically consider it cheating, It wouldn't be something that I would do -- and I wouldn't be happy if my partner did it while we were on a break.

If it was clearly determined that the rules of the 'break' are to have time to oneself, and NOT to see other people, it doesn't seem appropriate.

I wouldn't see it as breaking the rules, but its certainly a step towards breaking the rules.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
    No
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 02:23 PM
    And another no.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
    I will say yes, if you give out your phone number you are telling them to call you, which means you are wanting to go out, hook up or something,
    Ask the married husband with a phone number in his pocket if his wife thinks it is cheating.

If you promised to stay true, not to see others, it also means you don't go shopping for someone to see.

So you are either going to remain true of you need to be in a real break up or get back together,
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Father Chuck, I think this is a case of a true break up. Reality has not hit yet.

Asking different questions and wording them differently is not going to help. You were on a break. Simple. Most breaks lead to break ups, simple.

That is it. You had a choice and you found out people were still interested but you did not act on it so it is not cheating.

In any case, I think your boyfriend was looking for any reason to be out of the relationship anyway, now he has the out. You need to let go of it and move on.

Joe
    Cherlem Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Thank you Joe. I suppose you are right.

I'm still finding it very difficult to deal with a guy that supposedly cared about & loved me would dump me over something as trivial as this. Maybe he has a different perception of it, but I never even got the chance to explain my side.

I'm not taking the fact that I am being made out to be some cheating slut & liar too well...
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Apr 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Father Chuck, I think this is a case of a true break up. Reality has not hit yet.

Asking different questions and wording them differently is not going to help. You were on a break. Simple. Most breaks lead to break ups, simple.

That is it. You had a choice and you found out people were still interested but you did not act on it so it is not cheating.

In any case, I think your boyfriend was looking for any reason to be out of the relationship anyway, now he has the out. You need to let go of it and move on.

Joe
    Joe,

I agree with Fr, but only on a certain condition. I was going to post in the original post, but the circumstances of her breakup seem to indicate that she has done nothing wrong. The reason I suggest in this thread that it is not the right thing to do is because she seemed to want to cut all other influcences from the equation and just as a simple question. With no other outside influences, if a "healthy" relationship is on a break, where the rules do not allow seeing other people, I wouldn't consider this appropriate. Though I must also add, if the relationship was healthy, there is no reason to be on a break.
    zavuser Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 04:59 AM
    Yeah I think so there must be a reason why they are having a break and usually breaks like that leads to breaking... but well as long as the result is not yet seen, well depends on why you gave the number in the first place if its for friendship then its okay but if its for something like a reservation in case things would not really work out then I am considering that well it's a form of cheating
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2007, 07:49 AM
    I've always dated women who had and kept guy friends... so I tend to lean toward it not being cheating really, but in that murky middle... is going to the club, dancing, meeting a guy, and spending the night talking to him and dancing cheating? no.

Would your ex be mad if he had seen you do that? Ill bet. I think he just needed some reason to push him over the edge, and you prompty supplied it.

Giving a "new guy" your number is more intimate... it is an invitation toward some kind of relationship, whatever it is... it doesn't mean you did anything morally wrong, and it doesn't mean your ex should put up with anything he's uncomfortable about. You might be well within your comfort zone giving the guy your number. That doesn't mean your ex bf's paranoia is wrong or unreasonable... or right for that matter.

So... should you be guilty? Well... I'm not sure you should be, but you should at least learn a lesson here. I had a girlfriend whod say "you dont get in trouble for things you dont do"... and sometimes I thought that sneaked into "things you dont get caught doing"... such as exploring other relationships without dating the other men... shopping around. Not cheating... but setting up the next best thing.

Well... setting up for the next best thing is really you emotionally leaving the relationship in a comfortable way, and EVEN IF that isn't what you were doing, it can be seen like that was an option.

So the lesson learned I guess is be aware, if on a break-with-strings that actions that might be perceived as your setting up for the next thing just might break the strings holding together whatever was left.

So... who gets to wear the Big Badge of Blame? Probably a case where you both get to point fingers at each other and friends will support you without thinking you're kidding yourself.
    MayMsredrose Posts: 189, Reputation: 13

Aug 26, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Yes it's cheating because even if you are in break it's still mean that you are committed to someone and you did not state clearly that this relationship is over... I think you have to reconsider your relationship with your boyfriend because it's obvious that you do not love him or you are serious about your relationship with him.

Ms. Redrose

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cell Phone Number Trace [ 3 Answers ]

How does one trace a new cell phone number from an old one?

Yahoo Phone Number [ 2 Answers ]

I need a phone number for Yahoo. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Amazon.com phone number or eMail address [ 1 Answers ]

Amazon.com charged us an amount higher than than I signed up for on an order I made today. Their email confirming purchase shows a product price about twice what it was advertised as and what I confirmed purchase for. Their help pages are anything but. They claim you can get contact info from any...

Can my new cell phone number be found? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently had to change my cell phone number due to a psycho wanting to misuse the information and "find" me. He contacted a company to try and trace the source of my internet use and other ridiculous stuff. With my number, I didn't close the account, I just called and asked them to change my...

Giving out my unlisted phone number [ 19 Answers ]

I recently changed my phone number and made it unlisted because there was a guy pestering and almost stalking me, and the police recommended I change it, among other things. I've given my new number to a few select individuals, and told them that under no circumstances are they to give the number...

View more questions Search