Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ma2181 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 08:37 AM
    New New Jersey resident
    I have recently moved to New Jersey and work in New York City. I am not sure whether New Jersey taxes need to be withheld from my pay. I currently have federal and New York state taxes withheld solely??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Ma2181:

It has been my experience that, if you work in NY state and live in NJ, you should have only NY taxes withheld, since the credit that NJ allows for the NY state taxes will result in zero NJ taxes being due.

In fact, even with no NJ tax liability, you probably will get a small refund due to a NJ property tax/renters credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New jersey tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt that already had 1 tenant living there. We never signed a lease but paid the rent 50/50 each month by sending in separate checks. She moved out and did not find a replacement roommate and now the landlord is saying that I owe the last two months FULL rent (I was...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Living in jersey working in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I also am about to move to New Jersey and I would like to know what to expect from my taxes. I currently make 36,000 a year and I am married, no kids. Can I add my transportation to my taxes next year given how I will have to use both ny transit (trains) and nj transit?

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

NJ resident filing NY IT-203 non-resident return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I know its crunch time for tax filing so any advice I will greatly appreciate! This is my first time filing and I am confused. I thought to file on my own because it would not be complicated. I am a NJ resident who worked a few months in NJ, half the year in NYC (full time) and a very...

View more questions Search