Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smith1012 Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Mumbling when I talk
    People sometimes say I mumble when I talk therefore can't understand what the hell I'm saying. I believe I tend to mumble because of my deep voice and because I don't talk as much at school. I also see myself mumbling to phrases that I can't say properly or pronounce. Any advice? Should I think before I say something to improve the mumbling because I think that is one reason but I don't know
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 30, 2007, 03:11 PM
    You need to practice your enunciation.

Try reading or speaking aloud, and clearly saying each word. You'll probably slow down a little bit and get louder, which will make it easier for others to understand you.

You'll probably feel like you are talking very slowly at first. And that's okay. As you practice you will get better at speaking clearly at a steady pace.
    eldowchay Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Agree with philly. If you try taking a speech class or something similar that might help. Or you can simply read out loud slowly enunciating each word - make it sound incredibly stupid and over-enunciate. I used to mumble a lot myself (I still do although now it's when I curse someone so it's better to mumble then). Good luck!

May 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Thanks for the advice, but some people would say my voice is so deep that I sound like I'm dead or laid back when I talk. I get quite down when people make fun of my voice or the way I talk.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 1, 2007, 09:31 PM
    We always want what we can't have -
    Lots of guys wish they had a deep voice. It projects power and confidence... and can sound incredibly cool when used properly.
    :)

Use what you got. When someone tells you your voice sounds too deep, just start doing your "movie voice" or "radio guy" routine... they'll laugh and you'll have fun using your "instrument" to be entertaining... I still turn on the "DJ voice" when I'm entertaining friends.

You can use your voice as a tremendous advantge in communicating with people, but it will take some work to get yourself speaking clearly. Remember - Your mumbling is not due to having a deep voice.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
    In addition to the suggestions above, if you are interested, you might want to consider taking voice lessons from a person who teaches singing. I would explain to the teacher what you are trying to accomplish. If you are not interested in singing, then you could just concentrate on ways to improve on the mechanics of your speaking. One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a voice teacher. I would teach someone how they can get rid of the mumbling if they wanted me to.

With a voice teacher, you will learn all the things necessary to improve your speech - enunciation, diction, projection (how to use your diaphragm so that your voice will be heard further away), pronunciation, clarity, etc.

Maybe there is a voice teacher where you live with whom you could take lessons for awhile.

By the way, if you truly are a real bass (men that sing the lowest pitches) then that could really work as an asset for you, because there aren't many real basses around. Singing groups composed of men and women who sing in four-part harmony love to have real basses in their group.

Also, a man with a deep bass voice is considered to be "cool" by the ladies if he speaks well! Rather, than "Well, he spoke."

I would suggest thinking about what you say before you say it, since that has been one of the possible problems with your speech that you have identified.

May 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Can I like send someone a recording of my voice because I heard myself and found that I have a monotone voice. Even when I show expression it still sounds so montone and dead.
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

May 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smith1012
    People sometimes say I mumble when I talk therefore can't understand what the hell I'm saying. I beleive I tend to mumble because of my deep voice and because I don't talk as much at school. I also see mysef mumbling to phrases that I can't say properly or pronounce. Any advice? Should I think before I say something to improve the mumbling because I think that is one reason but i don't know
    Hi you probably mumble also by not only talking quietly but too fast, I often get told off for this myself, so I try to slow down and speak louder then people normally hear what I say lol Take care, love and peace anne x

May 5, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Will reading out loud help with speaking more fluently and clearly?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 10:43 PM
    "Will reading out loud help with speaking more fluently and clearly?"

I believe it will but it will take time and you must be patient with yourself. Doing it every day at the same time will help to develop a routine.

Listening to stories on tape too will help you to understand how other people raise and lower their voices. You might like to copy them, say it as they say it, like one would if learning a different language.

You could also try talking with a mouthful of marbles. The more you struggle to make yourself clearer the clearer you will become.

While reading concentrate on p-r-o-n-u-n-c-i-a-t-i-o-n.

Work at it. And if you feel or look silly in the mirror, don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. I think you just need to relax more. And be careful with those marbles. lol
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
    I really believe that finding a voice teacher and taking lessons for at least a little while would help.

May 6, 2007, 10:53 AM
    How can I improve by just talking everyday to people? Should I stop worrying about how I sound and just talk and concentrate on opening my mouth and pronouncating? Is it true if I open my mouth more, the voice won't sound as deep? I sometime have trouble not thinking what I'm saying therefore I guess people would hear
    me mumbling. Such as when I have to compromise on something which I didn't think beforehand. I guess I also worry too much on how I sound because people would make fun of my speech that I hold back on expressions and letting my voice out.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
    "How can I improve by just talking everyday to people?"

You won't. Not if it is as bad as you say. It will take work like the reading aloud. Talking to others and working to make yourself clearer will work.

May 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    "How can I improve by just talking everyday to people?"

You won't. Not if it is as bad as you say. It will take work like the reading aloud. Talking to others and working to make yourself clearer will work.

Your saying that it won't work if I talk to people everyday but then you 're saying talking to others will work? What do you mean?

I know I have to work myself to make it clear and that is what I will do when I talk to people. I'll try focusing on what I say and prononciate the words clearly
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Sorry. I don't think I made myself very clear. Think I was getting a bit tired.

Lets try it again.

You asked, "How can I improve by just talking everyday to people?"

I said that I didn't think you could just by talking every day to people. It would also take some work in the form of some exercises, like reading aloud. I also said that talking to people could be considered practise - meaning that you stay focused even while 'just talking to people'.

I hope I made it clearer this time.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

May 6, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    Sorry. I don't think I made myself very clear. Think I was getting a bit tired.

Lets try it again.

You asked, "How can I improve by just talking everyday to people?"

I said that I didn't think you could just by talking every day to people. It would also take some work in the form of some exercises, like reading aloud. I also said that talking to people could be considered practise - meaning that you stay focused even while 'just talking to people'.

I hope I made it clearer this time.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Yeah That is what I'm going to do. I'll stay focused on my speech while I 'just talk to people'

Thanks
    boutier2002 Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

May 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Is this not staying focused a form of deatching or talking to ones self?
    purplelilmunster Posts: 22, Reputation: 6

May 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
    I don't have an answer but I have the same problem but when I talk I think I'm clear as a bell but others are like WHAT! And its fustrating I know.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Imitation. In lieu of taking voice lessons, it probably would help to imitate, or if you will, mimic, a person who most agree would be a good speaker. It might help.
    fowardmoving Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I have a mumbling problem too. Sometimes I just don't feel like saying the things I have to say. I have a lot of problems with how I speak as well. I spent a long time not talking much and honestly I think I forget how to talk. It makes me very insecure. I totally understand the frustration. I don't know how loud to talk. I don't know what accent I have. I don't know what is appropriate to say. I don't know what is a waste of air to say. I think too much about all this stuff and unless I am in a totally happy and free moment, I mumble. It is not intentional and people get irritated and I get irritated and I really am trying to put an end to my mumbling. Thanks for the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I talk to her or not? [ 6 Answers ]

OK so my best friend and I are like sisters and are always together and there for each other But over the last week that our other close friend is at her dads house she has been a to me and I don't know why I haven't done anything toher execpt be nice and try to be there for her because she is...

How to get him talk to me again [ 30 Answers ]

Hello, everyone. I would like to share my trouble. I am currently having problems in relationship with my boyfriend whom I happened met during my study. Last year, I found out that I got pregnant from him. Everything was unplanned and I did not expect this to happened. So I told him through...

Why would she talk to me now? [ 5 Answers ]

I had the best relationship of my life with this one girl. Six months have gone by and my Ex-girlfriend of two years just contacted me through an online gaming service Xbox Live(exactly like an instant messenger). She said, "Nothing's changed. I have been thinking about you lately and was...

What to talk about [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high...

View more questions Search