Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenneth Greene Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 08:16 AM
    solving quadratic functions
    trying to find the max or min value and the x- and y-intercepts for 5.93x^2-3.135x-5.7

5.69x^2-3.135-5.87
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
    To find x intercepts, set y=0. To find y-intercepts, set x=0.

To find max and min, differentiate, set to 0 and solve for x. Graph if you have a calculator.

To check which is the max and min, use the second derivative.

But, since this is a quadratic, you will have only one extrema. Either a max or a min, not both.

Maybe do away with those decimals and rewrite as . Looks better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving [ 6 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers. I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem. Second...

Solving Quadratic Equations to Graph [ 3 Answers ]

How would I graph x^2-3x=4 to solve it? And I would I check? Thank You.

Quadratic solving [ 6 Answers ]

The annual yield per lemon tree is fairly constant at 320 pounds when the number of trees per acre is 50 or fewer. For each additional tree over 50, the annual yield per tree for all trees on the acre decreases by 4 pounds due to overplanting. Find the number of trees that should be planted on an...

!Quadratic prblem solving! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple questions to ask and I really need to know them within two days: 1) WHen a projectile is fired, the vertical component of its initial velocity is such that its height h, in metres, t seconds after firing is given by h= 250t - 4.9t^2. Is it possible for the projectile to reach a...

View more questions Search