Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slip Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 01:12 AM
    AOL media player
    Help every time I try to play downloadable movies off sites AOL media player will come up and it won't let me use windows media player... does anyone know how to solve this problem or delete AOL media player... thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2005, 06:56 AM
    This is an association issue. You elected to make AOL your default media player. What you need to do is open Windows Explorer and go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Look for file types that are associated with the AOL player and change them to WMP.

HTH
    Scott<>
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2005, 09:22 AM
    Wmp
    Hi,
    Another thing to try is:
    Open Windows Media Player.
    Click on Tools at the top, the click on Options.
    Click on the File Types tab at top.
    Left click on all the file types which puts a checkmark by them.
    Click on Apply, and OK.
    Close WMP.
    The above associates WMP with all file types to play, and makes it the Default Player.
    Try it again.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; You could also open the AOL player, find the File Types, and uncheck all of them, if just doing the above doesn't work.
    George1946 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Get rid of AOL!!

May 17, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George1946
    get rid of AOL !!!!!
    George,

While I agree that AOL is not for everyone. Obviously there are loads of people who are happy with it. So its really not helping to give such advice.

The original problem here was a user issue, not an AOL issue. AOL asks if you want to make AOL the default player. The user has the option of saying yes or no. WMP does the same thing.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2005, 06:41 AM
    Aol
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    George,

While I agree that AOL is not for everyone. Obviously there are loads of people who are happy with it. So its really not helping to give such advice.

The original problem here was a user issue, not an AOL issue. AOL asks if you want to make AOL the default player. The user has the option of saying yes or no. WMP does the same thing.
    I agree with George; get rid of AOL. It IS helpful to give such advice if the advice works for the particular person.
    Everyone has an opinion, and some of us respect and agree with others' opinions.
    fredg

May 29, 2005, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    I agree with George; get rid of AOL. It IS helpful to give such advice if the advice works for the particular person.
    Everyone has an opinion, and some of us respect and agree with others' opinions.
    fredg
    Wrong as usual Fred. What would have been helpful advice would have been something like this:
    You might want to think about switching to a different service provider. In my opinion AOL is not worth the money because...

That would have been helpful, but it politely suggested looking elsewhere and explained why they didn't like AOL. To just post an answer like George did is NOT helpful at all. I'll also point out, as I did to George, was the problem had nothing to do with AOL specifically. The user OPTED to have AOL as their default, whether consciously or by inattention to what they were doing. Many programs grab associations when they get installed, this is not restricted to AOL.

Fred, I'm going to suggest you go back to wherever you were for the past 6 weeks or so. You were not missed here and your return is just causing bickering as you give bad anaswers and snipe at other's answers.
    nerednckgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 08:46 PM
    Can I modulate with AOL player?
    A band wants me to learn their material - handed me original recordings that they are covering. Many of the original keys are not what they are actually playing the song in. Is there a way I can configure AOL player to modulate the key of the original recording up or down a step or two so I can play along with it (without sounding badly out of tune?) My friend's cheap DVD player has this capability so surely AOL must too (right?)

Thanks in advance!

nerednckgirl (the confused bassist)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2005, 04:35 AM
    I don't think AOL player will have this kind of option. AOL tends to be used by the average PC user and wouldn't have any use for this, so I doubt they put the feature in.

You might have better luck with either Winamp, Foobar or Quintessential. I must admit I don't know how you would do it in one of these but if you can't do it with just the player alone, there's bound to be a plugin that you can download to do it for you.

Sorry I can't be more help than that. P.s. Next time you want to post a question, create a new question in an appropriate category. Posting a follow on message like this will probably mean that your question gets missed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virfound in Media Player [ 3 Answers ]

Hiya All Has anyone seen this before? Went into Media Player, scrolling down my music and saw track "virfound" hadn't seen this before so clicked on it. "Stephen Hawkins" type voice said "Caution a virus has been detected". I got rid of it, but couldn't find it again, went into search and this...

Windows Media Player [ 1 Answers ]

I am very confused and every link WMP has doesn't solve my problem. I want to arrange my music library in order of either artist A-Z, or song title A-Z. How can I do this, and if you can, give me step by step info? I've tried what I could and so far nothing. I really appreciate your help.

Windows Media Player [ 6 Answers ]

Currently have Media Player 6.4 What is the safest one to upgrade to for a PC with Win98 second edition on it? Also what is best site (without adware, spyware, etc included with your download) to obtain the update from?

Problems w/ Media Player [ 3 Answers ]

I have not been able to get Media Player to load radio stations. I have re-downloaded the program and run the changes as indicated. I still cannot download any radio stations. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, CVGreg

Windows media player 9 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im using windows media player 9 on windows 98. Is there any way to clear the list of movies it has played that shows up when you press the file tab? Thank you :o

View more questions Search