Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2004, 08:06 AM
    PS/2 keyboard problem
    I have an older 700mhz Duron box that Im trying to fix up for a family member. I did an fdisk and formatted the drive for a fresh Windows 98 install.

Im booting to a Win98 startup disk and choosing to install from CD. The keyboard works fine for all of this... but as soon as Windows comes to the point where I need to type something in (serial key) the keyboard doesn't work. I know the keyboard and PS/2 port are working, as they work fine in DOS.

Ive tried different keyboards and reformatting (deleting and creating a new partition with FDISK) with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I would have MUCH respect for anyone that can figure this out, as I have been working on it for a LONG time. Thanks.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 12, 2004, 12:39 PM
    PS/2 keyboard problem
    If it works everywhere but when you try to enter the serial number, then perhaps your BIOS turns off numlock by defualt and you were trying to enter it with the keypad. Try hitting the numlock key and see if that works. If not, try hitting it again (I had a keyboard that the numlock function turned off occasionally for some reason, it was weird). Hope this helps.
    Hishnika Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2004, 03:23 PM
    Re: PS/2 keyboard problem
    Try a different windows CD.. this one might have a conflict with some hardware on your mboard. If it works in Dos then it's the operating system's fault. Also, are you sure it's the keyboard and not the entire PC freezing? Sometimes it helps to remove all things like sound, modem, ethernet, etc. and just have the videocard plugged in. Windows might be conflicting with one of the card drivers that are starting up. If you have time re-install without these extra cards and see if it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop Keyboard problem [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard got jammed. I am sure there is a key or set of keys to press to release the jam because I can recall I had a problem with my old laptop some 2 years ago which was sorted thus. The present problem is with the new dell laptop three weeks old. Can somebody help.

Keyboard conflict [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having a little harware problem with my computer. Everything was fine last week, and then my internet got blocked for a few days. After it was working again, I couldn't get my mouse and keyboard working toegther. Both are fine. I know the keyboard is OK because: -If I restart my...

No keyboard at welcome screen xp pro [ 11 Answers ]

I installed spy sweeper on an xp pro machine to remove some adware. After the removal was complete it asked to reboot my system. After the reboot I clicked on the user to login and when I hit any key (to enter password) but the keyboard not responding I tried safe mode reboot but same thing. It...

Servere Keyboard problem! Please help [ 6 Answers ]

I have a labtec keyobard. And I get an annoying on screen display every time I click on my lock keys, CAPS LOCK,SCROLL LOCK,NUM LOCK. The problem is a little grey box with displays above my taskbar each time I click on one of my lock keys, any idea?

View more questions Search