Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lani Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 10:02 PM
    Mandrake 10 modem configuration
    Hi team I'm new to this board so you will have to bare with me if I make a few mistakes .

My Q I'm on dial up.

And I have mandrake 9.1 and 10.

And they will find all hardware drivers but the modem driver.

I understand this applys to all linux products when you use dial up.

I know mandrake 9.1 the modem driver has to be extracted from the disk through the konsole application.

Does any one know the command line to extract the modem driver

For mandrake 10.

I've had this disk for 3-4 months.

And it is quite frustrating .

Windows finds all drivers at boot up through plug and play.

A would appreciate any advice.

Hope I've explained this as best I could

Thanks in advance
    lani
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 31, 2005, 10:05 PM
    What modem do you have?

Mar 31, 2005, 10:15 PM
    Modem model
    My modem is linux compatible I bought it for that reason.

It is intel [R] 536ep

In regards to your Firefox plug is it a stand alone .

Sys or does it depend on other sys to survive.im happy with IE

Marty
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 12:04 AM
    Now this is not modem related but about Firefox, Firefox is standalone, on top of that its far safer then IE and it uses a tab feature rather then extra windows. Its very light as well, won't use much of the system and well it has the feature to change skins and on top of that it almost never crashes, mainly none of the time. Surely you are not happy with IE are you?

Apr 1, 2005, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lani
    my modem is linux compatible I bought it for that reason.
    You would have been better off getting an external serial modem. The 536ep is a "controllerless" software modem, also called a winmodem. It depends on your cpu to do a lot of it's work and spoonfeed it in little chunks. A hardware modem is always much less of a hassle...

it is intel [R] 536ep
    Well... here is the driver:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...7&DwnldID=5980

It says it only supports kernel versions up to 2.4.18... better hope that is wrong, because you need to be running at least 2.4.26 (for security reasons). Let's just hope the docs are out of date and the code will still compile for you.

in regards to your Firefox plug is it a stand alone .

Sys or does it depend on other sys to survive.
    Well, everything that big depends on something else. But I think I get your context, I think your answer would be a "yes" here.

I'm happy with IE
    Whaaa.. aa... you're using mandy and you still want IE?.

Good luck,
    ~psi42

Apr 1, 2005, 12:20 AM
    Firefox
    I came here to ask about modem for mandrake driver.

But all I get is Firefox jammed down my throat.

I've been there done that and I found if you use the resourses in IE it is as good as any browser.

I come from techtv message board.

And at the moment because Firefox is getting more publicty.

It is also starting to get the troubles that IE is getting.

If I have to get Firefox jammed down my throat.im outa here

I probably know more about it than most of the posters her

My Q was about mandrake 10 not Firefox so quit pestering me with that FF

I find this forum is a platform to push FF .

Shouldn't it be pushing all browsers.

Marty

Apr 1, 2005, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    You would have been better off getting an external serial modem. The 536ep is a "controllerless" software modem, also called a winmodem. It depends on your cpu to do a lot of it's work and spoonfeed it in little chunks. A hardware modem is always much less of a hassle...

Well...here is the driver:

It says it only supports kernel versions up to 2.4.18... better hope that is wrong, because you need to be running at least 2.4.26 (for security reasons). Let's just hope the docs are out of date and the code will still compile for you.

Well, everything that big depends on something else. But I think I get your context, I think your answer would be a "yes" here.

Whaaa..aa.... you're using mandy and you still want IE? ....

Good luck,
    ~psi42
    Hi thanks for the mandrake driver link.

Yes I use it in a dual boot with xppro

I had xpro and mandrake 9.1 on a dual boot but the hdd was to small to sustain both

I had the modem configured by the company I bought the modem from.

Nad it was working great but I made the mistake of uninstalling it.

So I could use a 20geg hdd for a dual boot

And now I'm stuck because I can't get on line with mandrake .

I actually like mandrake

And once I can configure that modem ile do away with xppro.

But as you can see I need xp to get on the net.

I notice when I had mandrake 9.1 it mozzilla as an extra browser.

But I didn't like it .

So I used kde.
    Again thanks for the link.
    Marty
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 02:30 AM
    Hmm, I was not trying to be a nore was I jamming it anywhere, want another well hmm ever tried opera? Huh, aghhh techtv, that show has gone down the drain anyway, I haven't watched that in a year or more
    sultan_emerr Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2005, 02:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    now this is not modem related but about firefox, firefox is standalone, on top of that its far safer then IE and it uses a tab feature rather then extra windows. its very light as well, won't use much of the system and well it has the feature to change skins and on top of that it almost never crashes, mainly none of the time. surely you are not happy with IE are you?
    The poster came here to ask for help on a specific problem, not to ask your opinion as to whether he should like IE6 or Firefox, so if you can't help him with his problem, then just
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 02:34 AM
    Dude, don't stick it where you don't belong as well

Apr 1, 2005, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan_emerr
    The poster came here to ask for help on a specific problem, not to ask your opinion as to whether he should like IE6 or Firefox, so if you can't help him with his problem, then just
    Yeow sultan

I see this poster ahs 52 posts.

So IT must be the big wig around here .

In regards to techtv .

It now is techtv g4.

And it has 25.000 registerd suscribers.

And unlike this board it deals with all browsers not just Firefox .

Is this a netscape message board.

When I was told about this board that wasn't mentioned.

I though it was a board that dealt in all compt makes.

I originally came to see if some one could help me with a linux modem
    Configuration

And so far only one poster has tried to help.

All I've got is some b---t about Firefox

How the hell do I unsubscribe from this hell hole bloody Firefox.

Marty

Apr 1, 2005, 03:15 AM
    Mandrake
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42

Well...here is the driver:

Whaaa..aa.... you're using mandy and you still want IE? ....

Good luck,
    ~psi42
    In regards to your suggestion. You mentioned an external modem.

Can you give any specific advise on what to get.

I used to use an external modem.I think it was a dyna link.

But when I bought this compt .

It had an internal modem.

It was a winmodem but I changed it for the intel because it was linux compatible.

And when I used mandrake 9.1 it was .but now mandrake 10 is a different ball game.

So any advise would be appreciated.
    lani

Apr 1, 2005, 06:24 AM
    in regards to your suggestion. You mentioned an external modem.

Can you give any specific advise on what to get.
    The best thing to get is an external serial modem. Serial modems are almost always hardware modems, and are very very easy to use because there is really very little to do. You can probably get one on eBay for less than $25. Make sure you have a DB9 serial port.

But before you go and do that, we can give the winmodem a try. I've gotten a few of them working in the past, and on a fast machine they do work pretty satisfactorily.

Now then, about firefox:

And at the moment because Firefox is getting more publicty.

It is also starting to get the troubles that IE is getting.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to call troll on this one. The doctrine that {pick one: firefox/linux/macosx} would get compromised just as much as {pick one: IE/windows} if it had the same amount of marketshare is just FUD put forth by Microsoft and antivirus companies for their own benefit.

The basic reason lies herein:
    The #1 priority for Microsoft is to show users flashing lights and make sure they don't have to RTFM, no matter what the cost.

If I have to get Firefox jammed down my throat.im outa here
    Wait a minute... YOU brought it up.

I probably know more about it than most of the posters her
    I _really_ doubt that.

I find this forum is a platform to push FF .
    I don't think you get the opensource development model...

:)
    ~psi42
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2005, 07:22 PM
    Yeah you did ask, so I just said something about it, me ramming it down your throat or anyone else, well no... I like it but I know its not your choice to.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2005, 09:50 PM
    psi42 gave you some good advice. To help figure out if you can make your modem work, go to http://www.linmodems.org. They were a big help when I went through this a few year ago. When I finally got an external modem that worked with my system, my phony company's switching equipment wouldn't recognize its dialing about half the time.

I dumped them and now pay $72/mo. Total for cable internet and complete phone service, see www.vonage.com.

Apr 2, 2005, 01:00 AM
    Modems
    Ide sure like to have dsl or any fast connect .

But where I live that isn't possible at the monent.

So have to live with dial up.

I will print out the advice you guys have sent in and I will go for the external modem.

I probab;ly need to get advice on the these external modems.

I appreciate your help.

And once again I'm happy with IE .

So I don't need any advice on what browsers to use hope you guys don't mind me speaking my .mind

It is hard to find help boards for any linux products

I belong to three other message boards.world start.. besttechie. And techtvg4.

And apart from the Firefox thing it is the first time I've had positive feed back for the mandrake thing.

So ide like to thank you for the info

To be honest I don't think ile stay here if I get

The feed back I'm getting over this Firefox thing. I've already been instrimental in getting a couple of friends here.

Who are now members

But the way you guys have tried to put the ball in my corner

To make me feel guilty you obviously don't want new members.

How ever thank for the mandrake link.

lani

Apr 2, 2005, 01:14 AM
    it is hard to find help boards for any linux products
    Well, if you're ready to ask a serious question that you can't get answered here, you can always head to http://www.justlinux.com

You're only going to get the answers you seek if you drop the hostile exterior and start to think intelligently. This includes writing in complete sentences.
    The people who frequent that forum are much smarter and far less forgiving than I am.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

~psi42
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Modems are fairly cheap now. You are safest with a serial external modem. I got burned on a Phoebe internal modem. I found it on Pricewatch described as ''not a software modem''. I bought it from Micro Pro, $11 plus $8 in shipping. When I pulled it out of the box, and it said controllerless on the box. Info not available on Phoebe or Micro Pro's website. I spent another $8 shipping it back after calling because 2 emails didn't get me a return authorization. I eventually got my $11 for the modem back, but was out $16 shipping for something that was not as advertised. I am very disgusted with Micro Pro.

You need to be a little patient here. Nobody you are asking for help here gets anything for it. Yes some of us do have agendas, and some may not have very good advice. I hang around several sites, and you may get as good or better advice here as any, even if you do have to sort through some garbage. So I will keep pushing VOIP and kicking Micro Pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Zero Configuration Problem [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Folks, I have just reformatted my daughters PC with windows xp pro but can't seem to solve this issue: The PC is connnected to the internet via a wireless adapter which is fairly new and I have had no problems with it before the reformat. To get the computer to access the internet I...

Tc tuner configuration [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I have d845ewgew intel desktop board and 1.2 GHz inel processor I have installed TV tuner I only heard voice but cant'nt seen image I live in pakistan so I configure them to pakistan and in vga card I configure them as a vga card please solve my problem. ...

Mandrake linux 9.1 [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently installed mandrake linux 9.1 and Im having a few problems that after searching I don't know how to modify. Im am dual booting with xp just to let you kow. WhenI choose linux to boot and I get to the login screen there is no shutdown button. So whenever I want to shut the computer...

P-Trap angle configuration [ 2 Answers ]

Guys, Does it matter how much the outlet trap arm is turned on a P-trap? I have a tight situation with the installation of my clothes washer drain (in-wall). I'm wondering if I can turn it in the way shown in my diagram, (3). I know I've seen (2) before, just wondering if there was some...

DWV Configuration Question [ 6 Answers ]

Good day all, I hope somebody can offer a quick piece of advice. I had my very first plumbing inspection this morning, and the inspector told me I'd have a problem venting two basement fixtures with the configuration I had. I'm attaching drawings to illustrate. So, he said with what I have...

View more questions Search