Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Replaced faucet and drain in bathroom, LEAK!
    Hi there,
    I replaced the faucet in my bathroom and it seems to be working OK, however I am getting a leak when I run the water on full blast.

The leak is coming from the joint between the drain that came with the faucet and the curved pvc joint that connects to the straight pipe that goes into the wall.

It appears that there is nothing connecting the straight pipe that came with the new faucet and the curved pipe that came with the house. They are just positioned so that the one runs into the other. When too much water is flowing, it overflows into the vanity.

I don't remember if there was something there before that prevented this. Is there supposed to be some kind of rubber washer or glue or something that connects these two pieces?

Thanks!
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2005, 10:09 PM
    There should be something there. I'm guessing you are in need of a compression like fitting there... probably 1 1/2 inch
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2005, 06:36 AM
    A drain came with the facuet? There is a sink? Usually there are 3 pieces with a thread, ring, and nut at each joint. The tail stock is straight piece coming down from the sink. Got to run.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2005, 07:03 AM
    Replaced faucet and drain in bathroom, LEAK!
    Quote Originally Posted by abella
    Hi there,
    I replaced the faucet in my bathroom and it seems to be working ok, however I am getting a leak when I run the water on full blast.

The leak is coming from the joint between the drain that came with the faucet and the curved pvc joint that connects to the straight pipe that goes into the wall.

It appears that there is nothing connecting the straight pipe that came with the new faucet and the curved pipe that came with the house. They are just positioned so that the one runs into the other. When too much water is flowing, it overflows into the vanity.

I don't remember if there was something there before that prevented this. Is there supposed to be some kind of rubber washer or glue or something that connects these two pieces?

Thanks!

That curved piece is called a trap. There should be a raiser from the trap with a compression fitting that will attach to the tailpiece of the lavatory drain making a water tight connection.. Simply take the trap apart and add a compression fitting to the raiser. Good luck, Tom
    abella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2005, 11:26 AM
    That fixed it!
    Thank you so much! I bought a new trap assembly at the hardware store for $2 and was able to fix the leak. When I took the old trap off, I found the compression plastic washer thing had collapsed into the trap.

Thanks again! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in new bathroom sink drain [ 12 Answers ]

I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is...

Bathroom faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice for choosing a bathroom faucet. I'm a very practical guy. Looks are not important to me. Rather I want something that lasts, is easy for the plumber to repair or fix or work on. I want something that has a good warranty, etc. Can anyone recommend a brand or model that...

Replaced shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just cut a hole in my ceiling and replaced the shower drain. I used a plumber's putty on the top and locked in the washer on the bottom. Should I have used sealant at any spot on the install, or is the putty sufficient? After a day or so, I was able to tighten the nut more; is there...

Bathroom faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't have hot water coming through the bathroom sink faucet but through the shower it was fine. I adjusted the water valve under the sink and the water came flowing out now it won't stop when I turn the know on the faucet to the off position. Is it a seal or do I need to have the whole faucet...

Faucet sprayer leak in hose [ 3 Answers ]

I'm new... I'm usually handy but I out of my league on this one. Does anyone know how to fix/replace the inner hose in the metal coil housing(? correct name)

View more questions Search