Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heavens Touch Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Apr 28, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Part boarding/ What color looks good
    Hi I am thinking about part-boarding a horse at one barn close to me. She's really cute but a bit of a stronger horse. When I go visit her, I'm not sure if she doesn't like being in her stall or if she doesn't like me but she always puts her ears back. Do you think I should consider another horse. I was thinking about like taking her out into cross ties and grooming her, maybe bond. Suggestions? Oh and if you have a suggestion on a color that would look good on her id love to hear what you think.:o

I have an attachment of her.
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Stroke between her ears, down between her eyes and talk to; all animals like that, it is very calming, one trick I learned with horses from a trainer who was amazing with strongwilled horses was blowing in their nostrils very gently. She needs to trust you and you had a good idea with the cross ties and grooming her, that would help. <Maybe a good test of her trust in you after would being able to pick up her back hooves and maybe cleaning; walk around the horse a few times, touching her flank, patting, talking all the time so she gets used to hour voice.
    Heavens Touch Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Apr 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Is it true that once a horse lets you touch there shoulder then you have there trust? If not, how do you know if a horse truly trusts you?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I don't know about the shoulder, but I do know about blowing in the nostril.

One of our horses, Pepi, he was an Arabian, was a favorite of my dad's. Unfortunately we had to sell Pepi when we moved as we could not take him with us. We moved over 600 miles away. Well about 6 years later, my folks moved back to our old hometown and our friend still had Pepi. She graciously GAVE him back to Dad. When dad blew in his nose, Pepi did what he always used to do to dad. First he checked Dad's back pocket for a sugar cube, then he snorted and lifted Dad's hat off his head. Pepi remembered.

And I think yellow would be a pretty color.
    anomalee Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
    It seems to me you are missing an extremely important thought when part-boarding a horse. How is this horse to ride? Have you been on it yet? I am assuming that as you haven't even brought her out of her stall yet to groom her, that you haven't gotten that far. I would be far more concerned about her behaviour under saddle than whether she likes you. A horse will grow to trust you in time, and grow to like you as they become more and more used to your presence, but if she is badly behaved under saddle... unless you are experienced in breaking a horse of bad habits... you will have a lot more to worry about.

Unless of course I am missing something, and people part-board horses just to brush them, and spend time with them? Which... sounds like a nice idea... but you could always volunteer at a lesson stable to brush horses if that's the case, I'm sure most places would be more than welcoming of someone to do that.

Do you have a coach? Because I would be having a professional help me test out horses with me, and decide which horses would be suitable for my experience level.

I hope this helped a bit...
    Tuckerboy3 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I think you should take anomalee's advice and talk with someone who is more experienced with horses. She is pretty cute though. Just make sure she is right for you before getting into something because horses are EXPENSIVE!!!! and i think that a bright green would look good on her. Or any bright color that would stand out on her dark coat.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Please listen to Anomalee.

Many horses are cute to look at and even have outstanding ground manners, but when ridden are completely different. What are the terms of your lease? Have you ridden this horse before? Who will be there when you ride? Do you have a trainer? How experienced are you with riding and keeping a horse?

Her pinning her ears at you is a red flag to me. What are her ground manners like? Can you brush her, halter her, work around her without being worried that you might get bitten? Can you turn her out to the paddock with out much trouble?

Sorry for all the questions, but in order to help you better I need to know.
    horse101 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 07:14 AM
    You should try blowing into the horse's nostrils, that way she can get your sent and start to trust you. Then you should stroke her shoulder and make your way up to her head. My cousin once had a horse who was rescued from an abuser and he was very flightly and didn't trust people. Then, my cousin blew into his nostrils and then he let her touch him on the shoulder. It took him a while though to let her touch his head. My cousin had to keep storking his shoulder and then his neck and then to his head. Also, make sure you talk to her and maybe give her a treat. Each time you see her have a tibit in your pocket and put your hand out to her. Don't stick your hand right up to her nose or that might scare her. Just put your hand out to her and let her come to you and gradulally she will take the treat. Then, she will start osciating you with good stuff (treats). Visit her often in her stall often and make sure that she is getting enough turn out time. Be patient, it takes at least a year for a strong bond to form between you and your horse. Once she's pretty good about taking the treat from your hand put a halter on her and give her a good grooming. After that try saddling her up. If she tries to buck you off or rears or misbehves then it's time to go back to grooming and standing with her in her stall. Lunging is great way to get respect from your horse. My horse use to misbehave when I rode him but, after a couple lunging sessions he was great. Practice a lot of transitions on the lunge line then, try riding her again. Remember: YOUR Safety COMES FIRST. If you think that this horse is too much for you to handle and if you aren't feeling a bond then look for a different horse. Once she's good on the lung line try draping the lead rope over her neck and see if she follows you when you walk around the arena. If so then she trusts you. Good luck!
    P.S. I think purple would look great on her.
    ashycoco Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2008, 10:56 AM
    The blowing in nostrils works wonders.

What I would do is spend some time everyday just grooming and talking to the horse. Let her get used to your voice. Then when she hears your voice in the future shell associate it with getting groomed.

Also try feeding her little treats when you go to see her. I know many people who carry around mints or a little bag of cut up fruit or vegetables.

Oh and my horses love when I tickle their noses, they find it a game and try to catch my finger with their lip.

And don't worry your horse probably loves you anyway, different horses just have different ways of showng affection, just like people. Especially mares, they do tend to be a lot moodier then geldings.

I think white is nice on her colouring, or even just simple plain dark leather.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applying color after color corrector- too dark. How long do I wait to re-dye [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dying my hair red for years. I wanted to lighten up the red color a shade or two so my colorist used a color corrector and then redosited a lighter red color after the corrector was shampooed out. The color ended up very dark & not red at all so we used the color corrector a second...

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

Loft Boarding and Joist Loadings [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to insulate and board out an area of my loft. The roof is a cut roof construction. The ceiling joists are 4 x 2. I need to increase the thickness to 8 x 2 to get the insulation I want in and to have a flat floor that will clear all the pipework in the area. The span of the joists...

Proxy Server at Boarding School [ 19 Answers ]

K I go to a boarding school which has a proxy server It has surf control, doesn't allow MSN or any Music Downloader And it also won't let me play my Online game(Star Wars Galaxies) What can I do to get around this and be able to do these thing? Please reply or e-mail me...

View more questions Search