Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ludakris Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Drain replacement/vent
    I searched around and couldn't find my answer.
    I am renovating the bathrooom in my 1944 home. The house has had many "patches" to it in the past before I moved in. Because of the drain configuration now, I need to replace the pipe to the main drain. My question is that the tub is a good 10 ft from the main pipe which is vented. Do I need to vent the drain closer to the tub? I am doing all of this because of a slow draining tub, but also retiling etc, so this would be the time to add anything. If I do the added vent, would this be the time to add a clean-out access y?
    Is 2? Adequate for all of this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2005, 08:53 PM
    I think code calls for the vent to be much closer. I don't know your set up, but I would add a vent as close as you can. I don't think anybody ever regretted adding a clean out. 2'' should do for a tub drain and vent. A little more fall, if you can, won't hurt either. Engineers say water will drain with 3'' in 100', but maybe not near as quickly as you might like. You also want to carry any solids away too.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2005, 10:16 PM
    Have you snaked that drain. If it's 1944 old that could be why it'd draining slow.

Speedball... could this tub already be wet vented?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Drain replacement/vent
    Quote Originally Posted by ludakris
    I searched around and couldnt find my answer.
    I am renovating the bathrooom in my 1944 home. The house has had many "patches" to it in the past before I moved in. Because of the drain configuration now, I need to replace the pipe to the main drain. My question is that the tub is a good 10 ft from the main pipe which is vented. Do I need to vent the drain closer to the tub? I am doing all of this because of a slow draining tub, but also retiling etc, so this would be the time to add anything. If I do the added vent, would this be the time to add a clean-out access y?
    Is 2? adequate for all of this?
    Your tub should be "wet vented" by the lavatory vent. To be wet vented the tub must discharge into the lavatory drain and not the main itself. If you discharge the tub into the main you will need a vent installed not over 5' from the tub trap. 2" is the stardard size for lavatory and tub & shower drainage. Good luck, Tom

Apr 1, 2005, 07:03 AM
    Well, I don't know how to explain the current set up.. the drain comes out of the tub, makes a 90 and into a Cast Iron "pot" (3" pipe 8-10" deep). The water comes in the bottom.. fills up, and drains out the top, then about 6 ft to the main drain. The "Pot" has a screw on cap. One big problem is this causes air in the system that will not "vent", but I have snaked the entire set up quite a few times, even vacuumed out the sludge... but it still is a huge problem. My plan is to re-pipe with at least 2" PVC, Vented just out of the tub trap, then to the main drain. Its 1/4 slope per foot, right? Can I run the vent into the same vent as the toilet in the attic before it exits the roof?
    Thanks for the help...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ludakris
    well, i dont know how to explain the current set up.. the drain comes out of the tub, makes a 90 and into a Cast Iron "pot" (3" pipe 8-10" deep). The water comes in the bottom.. fills up, and drains out the top, then about 6 ft to the main drain. The "Pot" has a screw on cap. one big problem is this causes air in the system that will not "vent", but i have snaked the entire set up quite a few times, even vacuumed out the sludge... but it still is a huge problem. My plan is to re-pipe with at least 2" PVC, Vented just out of the tub trap, then to the main drain. Its 1/4 slope per foot, right? Can I run the vent into the same vent as the toilet in the attic before it exits the roof?
    thanks for the help...

You have just described a "Drum Trap", outlawed for these many years. Convert to a 2" PVC "P" trap and install a vent within 5" foot of the trap. You may revent back in the attic. /4" slope is normal but if your tight 1/8" is acceptable. Good luck, Tom

Apr 1, 2005, 01:22 PM
    I figured it was something that would have been "outlawed", at least now I know what the thing is called. Thanks for the help.. I think I have enough info to tackle this..
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2005, 12:20 AM
    For sure a drum trap. Good call Speedball.

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

Replacement drain for 2" copper raiser [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I have tile person coming to pour the new shower pan and tile mysoon to be new shower. All I have left to do is put in a new shower drain. The shower drains through a 2 inch copper pipe. The old brass or iron drain was welded ( I guess) on to the pipe. I knocked the heck out of it with a...

Replacement tub drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a replacement tub waste plug. I was in the hardware store today and they had a wall full of replacement drain parts. The bathtub in my master bath has a drain that works fine but cosmetically was pretty beat up. It's 30 year old brass, and it was not going to clean up without being...

Replacement shower drain strainer [ 6 Answers ]

Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do...

View more questions Search