Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lonna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Art perspective
    What is it called when an object in a painting seems to move as you walk past it? Is it vanishing point perspective? Lonna
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Do you mean like eyes following you in the painting of a portrait?

The following is from Vanishing point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Vanishing point (disambiguation).

A vanishing point is a point in a perspective drawing to which parallel lines appear to converge. The number and placement of the vanishing points determines which perspective technique is being used.

Linear perspective is drawing with 1-3 vanishing points.
    Curvilinear perspective is drawing with 5 vanishing points mapped into a circle with 4 VPs at the cardinal headings N,W,S,E and one at the circle origin.
    Reverse perspective is drawing with vanishing points that are placed outside the painting with the illusion that they are "in front of" the painting.
    Vanishing points were first used by Renaissance artists such as Donatello and Masaccio.

Vanishing points can also refer to the point in the distance where the two verges of a road appear to converge. This is often used to help assess the upcoming curves in the road; to judge the radius and therefore the entry speed and optimum line. If the vanishing point moves towards you or to your sides, the curve is tightening. If the vanishing point moves away from you or comes to centre, the curve is straightening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm confused and want a male's perspective [ 57 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 4 years broke of with me 2 months ago. He said he needed space to get his life together ( no job, lives with parents, doesn't feel good about himself) He loved me, but couldn't give me what I needed. Instead of letting him go, I committed every no-no in the book (cried, begged,...

Showing unit to perspective tenant [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question with regards to showing a unit to a perspective tenant after the current tenant (i.e house roommates) has given notice to move. I was at my rental unit making repairs to a kitchen floor (I had given 30-days notice of entry -- PLENTY of time). While I was repairing the floor, a...

Need a new perspective... [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I'm laying it all on the line in hopes that those of you familiar w/ this type of situation are willing to help me out... this may be long, bear w it! All throughout my five years spent in college I dated the same girl, the one I had been with since our senior year of high school. In that...

How to get him back! Male perspective wanted too! Help me [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriend of fourteen months , told me that its all too much and he didn't think he wanted a relationship anymore? He says he still loves me , and last week we were fine. :mad: everything was fine except we hadn't seen each other for two weeks . I really want him back, I love him so much. I had...

Males Perspective Please [ 22 Answers ]

Hello everyone I know some of you remember me as being the one who had been debating if sleeping with a married man was OK... and I never did. Since than we have become good friends and we truly don't communicate with each other as much anymore as well. But hears the problem... the other day I saw...

View more questions Search