Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atamir Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Live in NJ Work in NY nebie question
    Hi,

This is my first year doing taxes, and needless to say I am slightly confused. Both myeslf and my wife live in New Jersey and work in NYC. Exactly which forms do we have to complete? Do we have to complete NY, NJ and federal returns? If so, would a program like TurboTax do all three?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Alan:

TurboTax will do the return for you, and it will transfer the figures from your W-2s to the state tax software. However, it will not transfer figures from the NY software to the NJ software to properly figure the credit for paying taxes in NY. There are also a few other pitfalls you have to avoid. Finally, to use TurboTax in interview mode will take about four hours.

To buy the TurboTax Basic and the two state softwares will cost you about $85. I assume you are renting, with no children (since this is your first return). For $85, I will prepare your federal return plus both state returns. If you want to efile your federal return, that's an extra $15. I cannot efile the state returns as I am not registered for either NJ or NY.

If you are interested, contact me at [email protected] and we will discuss the details.
    atamir Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Quick question
    Thanks for that info!

I have a 401K that I contribute to out of every paycheck. Do I report this to the IRS even if I haven't made any withdrawals from the 401K? I haven't received a 1099R and am wondering if I should have...

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2005, 08:36 AM
    Alan:

The 401K info is already reported on the W-2. If you look at your W-2, there should be an entry in Box 12 with a "D" code and a dollar amount. The dollar amount should represent the amount you contributed to your 401K plan. The "D" code identifies the dollar amount as a 401K contribution for the year.

Also, if you check the amount of wages in box 1, it will be less than the amounts in boxes 3 and 5. The difference between box 1 and 3 should be at least as much as the dollar amount next to the "D" code.

You only get a Form 1099-R when you get a distribution from your 401K or you roll the 401K balance into another account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in pa and work in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to ask my human res. Here at my job this question but it seems like I am getting brushed off all the time I do not want to be penalized at the end of the year I have been working in this job since march of 2006 we just switched payroll and I get direct dep. So I never bothered looking...

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

Live in NJ... Work in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I am married, currently own a home in New Jersey and am looking for work in NYC. I will be commuting to NYC via the train so I will maintain residency in NJ. My questions are, on my paycheck, what will be deducted? How will my year end taxes be affected if I file multistate? Let's say I make...

Work in NJ and live in NY tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I see a lot of people living in NJ and working in NY but its hard to find info on working in NJ and living in NY. Do you know how taxes work when I live in NY and work in NJ? Does the federal get affected by this. I own a home in SI and my wife works in NY. Thanks

Live in NJ work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Thinking of moving to NJ from NYC. What would the tax implication be? Higher/Lower? Currently I'm paying NY State and NYC resident, around $300 biweekly. How will the taxes be computed once I tell my employer that I moved to NJ? Thank You.

View more questions Search