Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boita9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Fish bones and cats
    My roommate dumped a fish head and body into my cats bowl. I thought that wasn't such a good idea. I was afraid that she might choke on the bones since they were so small and sharp. My roommate said that cats eat bones all the time... (she doesn't own a cat).
    The cat didn't eat it anyway, and she threw it out. So, is it OK to give a cat fish bones?:eek:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
    You are right, it is not a good idea to give your cat fish bones. Cats can choke on those bones. Your cat was smart enough to do the right thing! Now cats can eat some bones. The following exerpt:

Cats will prefer slightly softer, smaller bones. Chicken necks and wings are the most popular, as are rabbit pieces, and smaller roo tails. My cats happily devour an entire chicken carcass with ease, and will tackle a large roo tail, but usually leave the big bones for the dogs to clean up. Many people I see in practice do not believe cats can eat bones, but once you have seen them devour a rabbit, head first, you understand they are quite capable.. many cats just prefer to avoid the hard work!

It can be hard to get an adult cat to start eating bones if it is not used to eating fresh meat. It can be equally hard if they all ready have bad teeth, or need dental help. The best thing is to get your cat started as early as possible, as a kitten, and then keep up a regular routine.

Dr Bruce Syme BVSc(Hons)

Managing Director, Vets All Natural P/L

325 Barker St, Castlemaine, Vic.3450

Ph: (03) 54725477 (Fax): (03) 54705264

[email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can cats eat chicken bones? [ 8 Answers ]

Is it all right for a cat (adult) to eat fried chicken scraps from the table? This includes the bones. I didn't think they could. I know dogs can't. If "no", then why are cats different than dogs on this topic? Thanks Susan:confused: :confused:

Getting your bones picked cleaned [ 5 Answers ]

Anybody out there tired of getting there brains beat in by blackjack, you could be making costly mistakes or playing in second rate games and having your bones picked clean before you even finished your first beer. Maybe I could give you some sound advive in the do's and dont's about the...

Puppies and bones [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

View more questions Search