Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teahead215 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Stack pipe replacement
    I'm having some outside drainage problems repaired and the contractor has told me that the stack pipe, which is outside, is in the way and that it will have to be relocated inside my house. Now the problem is that most of my interior walls are plaster over brick as my house is anout 110 years old. The contractor siad the pipe will have to left exposed and that it would either go through my kitchen or dinng room. Now this doesn't sound too appealing to me, but my question is, do others have it set up this way or is there an alternative? Is this somewhat normal?

Jamie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Stack Vent Replacement
    Quote Originally Posted by teahead215
    I'm having some outside drainage problems repaired and the contractor has told me that the stack pipe, which is outside, is in the way and that it will have to be relocated inside my house. Now the problem is that most of my interior walls are plaster over brick as my house is anout 110 years old. The contractor siad the pipe will have to left exposed and that it would either go through my kitchen or dinng room. Now this dosent sound too appealling to me, but my question is, do others have it set up this way or is there an alternative? Is this somewhat normal?

Jamie
    Hi Jamie,
    It would seem that relocating the outside drainage would be less hassle and expense then tearing out and moving the stavk vent inside. And that's just the begaining of tearing up your house. Drains will have to be relocated and connected. Floors and ceilings opened up. We're talking major-major surgery here. Now it seems to me that less damage to your house and bank account would result by keeping the work outside your home. What's so pressing that your home has to be torn up to work on it? What is this "outside drainage problem" and why do you have to tear up your home and involve 3 or 4 trades to repair it? I would be asking question and demanding answers from my contractor and if I didn't like the answers I got I'd get a second opinion. Good luck, Tom

Mar 30, 2005, 10:24 AM
    I need the drain work done because they are either cracked badly or just draining in to the soil which is causing some major water damage and mold in the basement. We defintely have to get the work done. I thought about after the pipe is installed I could just make a new corner the surrounds the piping.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2005, 11:26 AM
    I tend to agree with Tom. Can't the new drain go out around the stack? If you must move the stack, post back with more details. If the house is only a single story, can you go up through a closet or even an interior wall? To move the stack, will you have to break up a concrete basement floor?

Mar 31, 2005, 08:46 AM
    I spoke with my contractor last night about the stack. He told me that Philadelphia code requires that if you have an outside stack pipe and you do any repair affecting it, you must move it indoors. As far as breaking up concrete, that is already being done so that my outside drain pipes can be replaced. The only upside to all of this is that I have been redoing my den and built all new walls which are not yet covered in drywall yet and I can run the new piping through there. Oh and now I will be redoing my bathroom too.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2005, 10:13 PM
    I don't think I would let a contractor do that no matter what they said. First he said move it because it's in the way... now it's a code thing??

Apr 5, 2005, 06:24 AM
    I have a few more contractors giving new estimates and so far not a single one has mentioned the stack being moved. So I'll see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

Lead pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a house in Chorlton in manchester. The house is a middle terrace and has a stop tap approximately 10 metres from the house boundary and the street. I have a builder renovating the house who informed me that there are lead pipes connecting to the water supply and he has alerted me to the...

My first house... And already a (big) issue -- stack pipe [ 13 Answers ]

My wife and I just purchased our first house last Wednesday and moved in the next day... it's 78 years old and in the city... Well, there were some issues to begin with... a 78 year old toilet to fix the internals on and some under-sink drain plumbing to do... but I got all of that done fairly...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search