Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdahlke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2005, 11:06 PM
    85 Honda Accord LX starting problems
    I have an 85 Accord LX, carburated. Car began stopping intermitently. Now won't start at all. No spark from Coil. Seems to be getting fuel. Won't even fire on starting fluid. Replaced Coil. Replaced distributer with 2 different used carburators. 12volts to + and - side of coil with key on. When key cranking still have steady 12 volts + and - . What else is there to check? Thanks in advance for any help.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2005, 12:23 AM
    Well you asked what else to check... timing belt may have either slipped or broke, whens the last time it was changed?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 30, 2005, 06:19 AM
    If you have problems starting your Honda, check your Main Relay. It is a known issue.

http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/elec...main-relay.htm

Mar 30, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Timing belt checked
    Did consider the timing belt issue. It's only 10k old. Where is the main relay on the 85 Accord?

Mar 30, 2005, 07:41 AM
    Main Relay ?
    Sorry, I just noticed the link for the relay issue. Is there a relay on carburated hondas as well as fuel injected? I had heard of this issue but assumed my carburated Honda did not have this relay.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 30, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Erm... well... hrm. Main Relay is kind of a part of Fuel Injection system. So yeah, your question makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking. :eek: Hm, I'm sorry then, I have no experience with carburated cars, so cannot help you... :(
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Hmmm, does the distributor spin when cranking?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2005, 12:47 PM
    To have spark, the 12 volts at the coil must be switched on and off when the engine turns. Often it is done by making and breaking ground. I think there is a pick up coil in the distributor for the timing, and it is connected to an ignition module. Follow the wire from the coil back to it. Unless it is in the distributor and has been replaced along with the distributor, likely it is your problem.
    Iangg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 07:03 PM
    I had an 85 accord lx carburated, in fact it was a California car so it had all kinds of vacume hoses and such. I had a starting problem where it just decided to not start one morning. I eneded up with new spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor, somehow the gap between the rotor and the cap became too much, so you might check the rotor as well if youhaven't yet. Other things to check is spark plug gap, compression. Check to see if fuel is on the spark plugs after you try to start it. Obvoiusly you want to disconnect the battery before pulling out spark plugs with gas on it.Unfortunelty you may also have a vacuum hose somewhere not operating correctly. But try the rotor, check to see if fuel is on the spark plugs etc. Depending on your mileage, the piston rings will begin to wear out causing weak compression. Those are my ideas :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1988 Honda Accord Starting Problem... Not Relay [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Accord LX and recently got a new exhaust system and changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and air filter. When I was done I went to start it up and it won't run. It starts.. revs insainly high like up to 4000rpms and then dies. If you spray carb cleaner into the main bowl...

1988 Honda Accord LXi turns over but not starting [ 37 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 5-speed 1988 Honda Accord LXi with pretty high miles, but has been running great for the 8 or so months I've owned it. However, yesterday when I was driving to town it stalled at the stop sign. This stall was kind of out of the blue, because I did not let out the clutch too fast...

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

Problem starting a honda 91 accord [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord that when you try to start it there is a tick tick tick noise. I had the starter checked and they said it was fine. I can sometimes start it in nuetral. It will also sometimes start in park. Any ideas on what it might be

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

View more questions Search