Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 06:59 PM
    You just have too many things going on right now. I'm sure if you only had a few less things to focus on your production would rise. I suck at math, and I know it. So I majored in psychology. Sometimes we fail becaue our goals are unrealistic. Tyr trimming down the load that your carry, and you will reach your destination more quick.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Dyscalculia is a rather old disability that is now regaining "popularity." Although I don't think popularity is the right word. Dyscalculia is the reversal of numbers, the shifting of numbers on a page and/or the inability to line numbers up for calculations.

One great strategy to help you is the use graph paper when doing calculations. Using one box for each number helps keep each number in the correct spot. Also using a calculator with larger numbers helps.

Dyscalculia.org

Great website...
    emosis_03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Well... I'm only 16 and the only thing I can say to you is that: YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE... No one is!. It just happens that in some moments thing are not going the way we planned. I have flunked in economics last year and I felt just like you because I learned all the friking book!. It suck, but it's better to carry on and try it again!

You go girl!! I admire you for the fact that you work, study and have a son:)... That makes U a winner weeeeee!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I am so with Tuscany here!!

My math notes are hilarious!!

I did this for College Algebra and RULED Kramer's Rule!! I flunked Basic Algebra (twice, but don't tell anyone) and Intermediate Algebra (twice, but don't tell anyone) but ended up with an A in College Algebra, how you ask?

I took stock in graph paper and colored erasable pencils. All of my math was done on graph paper with every step of each calculation done in different colors.

I now use colors for my nursing notes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    Dyscalculia.org

Great website...
    I LOVE the website!!
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
    For some people math really is tough. Did you find a tutor on campus? Another thought, is there a lower level math class that you can take? When I started back to school after 12 years I was placed in one class, but I took the one below it so that I made sure I really got it. It made a huge difference, not only that but you may find that for some reason the instructor just didn't fit your learning style. Don't give up... there is always another way :)
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

May 9, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I have so much respect for adults that are trying to go to school and work and take care of family commitments. It is hard. I did it for a couple years.

You find there will be moments like this, that are moments of defeat where you feel like you can't go on. But you pick yourself up and somehow you carry on and move forward. I don't know. Maybe it is looking at your life and realizing that there is so much more or looking at your kids and thinking that you want to set an example and be able to provide for them comfortably.

This challenge for you in not insurmountable. Extra tutoring can help (like others have suggested). You need to find a method that works for you. I repeated a math course a few years ago that I has previously passed with a low mark in high school. The math teacher I had was amazing. From him I learned that there is usually more that one way to calculate/formulate an answer. By the time that the test came I would have two ways to determine the right answer, you know, like a double check.

You are smart and you have obtainable goals and your priorities are good. You really can make it and accomplish what you want. So don't give up. Please.
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

May 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Thank you guys for your support.. you and my husband are the only ones I am getting support from. I tried the tutoring center... but the lady was rude and acted like I was dumb. I am in basic math.. I am going to pay for the semister of college and then I am going to contiunue on... I can't let this obsticle get in the way of my goal of being a wonderful CPS worker. I Won't
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 10, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Hey, your not a failure.
    How do I know this?
    You replied to my introductions post, saying "have a wonderful day"
    No one has said anything like that to me in a long time, you Succeeded in bringing a smile to my face, in one of my darkest moods.
    Anyone who can do that, is not a failure.
    Also, you have a husband. You have found the one you love, you have succeeded beyond many peoples wildest dreams.
    Finnally, the only failure, is when you stop trying, when you give up.
    Never give up, never give in, and you will never fail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney failure [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! My dog has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She will not eat and rarely drink or go to the bathroom. She just lays around, coughs, and vomits flem. The doctor says we need to put her down. The doctor had given her some medicine and vitamins. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING...

Failure code [ 1 Answers ]

He2 plus washer, what does the code F01 mean

Failure to Launch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, First time posting... hope someone out there can help :D 1stly... some system info.. AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ Socket 939 - NF4ST-A9 v1.0 mobo 1g DDR 2100 Ram 2x IDE 7300rpm HDD

Thermostat Failure? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wall mounted Whirlpool air conditioner which was bought new 3 years ago. The thermostat on this unit appears to have quit functioning this summer. It just continuously pours out cold air and eventually causes the unit to ice up. Any suggestions as to what I can try to get the thermostat...

Computer failure [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sirs or madams: I have a Midwest micro computer about 9 yrs. Old. We use it for the games that are part of the windows version loaded into it permanently. A few days ago it would not load and come on as it did before. The messages say the hard drive is not installed and the battery is low. ...

View more questions Search