Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    n1mru Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Dishwasher not draining
    I have a Kenmore Ultra wash dishwasher that won't drain. Computer control.
    When it should go into drain cycle it keeps pumping water into washer arms.

It will run through entire cycle and never fill using water in tub over and over.
    If I wet vac the water out it will fill and use the new water.

Would the drain being plugged force the water into the washer arms ?

Should the motor reverse itself to drain ?
    This machine has a " cancel/drain " button which is used to cancel cycle and drain tub.
    When you push this it pumps water in tub through wash arms for a few minutes then shuts
    Off

Thanks Ted
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Without out a model number one cannot tell you whether your dishwasher motor reverses when it pumps out. Kenmore uses different manufacturers, some reverse the motor and others use a solenoid operated drain valve.
    Yes, you may have a blocked drain anywhere along the system. I've gone into homes with a complaint such as yours and found out that someone had replaced a bad garbage disposer and forgot to open the knock-out plug on the disposer.
    The dishwasher is acting correctly by not taking in new water if there is already enough water in the bottom of the unit. A float switch cuts to voltage to the water inlet valve to prevent the unit from overflowing.
    Start by taking the drain hose off under the sink, get a bucket and see if it drains into the bucket. Keep working your way back to see if a blockage is the cause.

Apr 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Well here are the numbers...

Model # 66516805890
    Serial # f91711090
    Stock #16805

I have a repair parts list for dishwasher. There is no reference to a solenoid operated drain valve.
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 29, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Looking at the parts diagram it appears to be a Whirlpool produced for Sears. That motor reverses for the pump out. When the cycle is in the pump out mode, does it sound like it's trying to pump? In other words, can you hear the motor running or is it totally silent. If you can hear it running but it's not draining then either the drain system is plugged or the pump impeller is broken. The only way to tell is to start taking it apart.
    Good Luck!

Apr 30, 2007, 03:42 AM
    The pump motor sounds fine but I question whether it is reversing direction since it pumps water through the washer arms when it should be draining. It's worth a shot to check the hose for obstruction as the worst part of that will be pulling machine out from under the counter.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer not draining [ 1 Answers ]

Why want my washer drain the water?

Bathtub not draining [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built around 1953. We have lived in it for only 8 months. The whole time we have lived there the lever to move the drain stopper in the bathtub has not budged. We only ever shower so I didn't worry about it. About a week ago, the tub started draining slower and slower. It now will...

My dishwasher is not draining [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new disposal. Now, when I run the dishwasher it doesn't drain. But if I disconnect the hose from the washer to the disposal and let it run into a bucket it does drain. I don't know what I did when switching the old disposal to the new one but apparently I missed something.

Dishwasher not draining properly [ 1 Answers ]

My dishwasher is not draining all the way. I have heard that there is some kind my electric valve that pumps the water into the drain. Is that all I need to fix it?

View more questions Search