Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Church attendance
    I know when it comes to issues between myself and the Lord, it is only up to myself to make everything right. However, I am guilty of hardly attending mass on a regular basis. I managed to attend for Easter last year, but cannot find myself to attend on a regular basis.

By the end of the work week I end up with so many problems and worries on my plate, that I am too worn out to unwind or find a place where I can overcome all that is troubling me. All the while knowing that in the back of my mind, hearing the word of God will heal me and make me forget about all the problems I encountered the past week.

My question to you fine folks is, how can I boost myself up to attend on a more regular basis without feeling lethargic and unwilling? My other question that haunts my mind sometimes is, am I less of a Christian or child of God if I do not attend?

Thanks
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 27, 2007, 09:27 AM
    You know you bring up a good question. I was listening to a local christian radio station yesterday and it talked about how those who do go to church on Sunday, typically let God into their life on Sunday only, sometimes Sunday night and God forbid if they have to attend a mid week service. But when it comes to work and play they figure they can handle that part of their life on their own. If you start to let God into your life during the week, pray during the day, talk to God like a friend and let out some of those problems, I believe you will find it a little easier to spend time with the Lord on Sunday and with the Lords people.

I know your church might be different from mine, I go to a Non Den. Christian church and from the way you described church as "Mass" I figure you might go to a catholic church. Sometimes you just need to find a church that feels right for you, not one that will serve your needs but one where you find that you can serve with a happy heart and you enjoy being there. Once you find that it is amazing how easy it is to get up on Sunday morning and how much you look forward to it.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I agree with the above answer. That is a practical view & approach that sounds like a wonderful suggestion.
    I have been in the same boat. If I don't PLAN to go to Church, then I slack off till I get a guilty conscience about not going.
    There are churches that hold service on Wednesday eves & Sunday eves. For night-owls like myself. I can barely see @ 8am-lol.
    Church is not a requirement for Heaven-but it's important because it provides a place where you can worship God & share in Christian fellowship.
    Jesus said in Matthew 18:20,"For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with them."
    After a hard week, Church is certainly a refreshing experience. I have found also that the Lord audibly speaks to me more when I am regularly attending church. Maybe it enhances my faith. I'm not sure, but it's no coincidence.
    Yes, I do have a daily walk with the Lord in prayer & in reading the Word but I am convicted when I think of the writer of Hebrews 10:25 "let us not give up meeting together."
    It's hard to worship with songs & psalms at home. I find this worshipping to be comforting & overall therapeudic. When I go to Church it's like a devotion. So I go on Wed. eve. It's not my denomination, but until I find another church where I live holding these hrs, it's sufficient. I always feel better because of it.
    Good luck with your Christian journey.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
    First church is the place to go to get rid of all of those issues, It is the place where you can leave the worries of the world.
    Also maybe not your church, but many places have Sat evening mass, and often two morning services on Sunday.

But as said, you don't have to worry about showing up for work on Mon morning, why, you plan to be there, you set your alarm and you go, you do church the same way. And since you are using the term mass, if you have not made a confession lately often that can take a lot of burden off your heart also. ( please no negative comments on that, I am talking to someone about their faith, not your belief)
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheArmsOfGod
    I know when it comes to issues between myself and the Lord, it is only up to myself to make everything right. However, I am guilty of hardly attending mass on a regular basis. I managed to attend for Easter last year, but cannot find myself to attend on a regular basis.

By the end of the work week I end up with so many problems and worries on my plate, that I am too worn out to unwind or find a place where I can overcome all that is troubling me. All the while knowing that in the back of my mind, hearing the word of God will heal me and make me forget about all the problems I encountered the past week.

My question to you fine folks is, how can I boost myself up to attend on a more regular basis without feeling lethargic and unwilling? My other question that haunts my mind sometimes is, am I less of a Christian or child of God if I do not attend?

Thanks
    I too have felt guilty about not keeping up my religion, I was brainwashed as a child and feared so much if I did not attend, in the end I rebelled and left because as I got older I knew that to feel like this could not be right, I now have no religion as such, I believe there is a god, but I do not believe that religion is necessarily a good thing as it has been the cause of many wars. You are your own church, you can pray to god wherever and whenever you want using your own meaningful words, this does not take up any routine that you would find difficult to keep. You can also meditate to wind down and maybe solve some problems, it is amazing what deep breathing and going within yourself does. Take care, love and peace anne.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Apr 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I was away from the Catholic church for sometime in my late teens and early twenties. I won't bore you with the whole story. When I did start coming to mass regularly, I felt my faith was renewed. I became more filled with joy every week. Soon, I did not feal like it was an "obligation" to go, but I desired to be at mass. It takes little steps some time. Be open to God's call. I would sagest talking to the priest at your parish. You should not feal awkward, they have herd it all.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts about his Church [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what your thoughts are about the LDS Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) Also know as the Mormom Church.

Non church wedding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm writing because my boyfriend and I want to get married. We really want the big church wedding and invite everyone, the thing is that can take over a year to plan. My boyfrien is 39 and wants a couple more kids. He really doesn't want to wait anymore. We already have one child. Here's my...

Peace in the Church [ 11 Answers ]

Why do so many Christians ignore the peace teachings of Christ? Isn't it obvious that he did not come to establish a worldly kingdom? Yet, this administration and many of the Christians seek to bring about the kingdom through worldly mechanisms rather than through Christian living. Just...

Why Is The Church Silent? [ 9 Answers ]

Just like every other day of the week, 4000 babies were killed today. Where was the church? Where were the preachers? I'd sure like to know. Those of us who have been involved in the prolife movement (or for that matter, any other movement that impinges upon moral issues) for any length of...

View more questions Search