Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Chirping Hamster
    My friend just got a hamster and when it is walking around it's cage, or is disturped it makes a kind of chirpy, squeek. It is pretty regular. I looked around on hamster sites and they all said hamsters were quiet and none mentioned this noise. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone tell me if it means it is distressed/upset? Unfortuately I don't know what kind of hamster it is as it's not mine.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:17 AM
    I used to have a few hamsters, it wasn't rare for them to squeak every now and then, for whatever reason. I don't believe you should be worried, I think maybe he's just an unusually vocal hamster. Just make sure he looks healthy and he has enough food and water.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Mine used to whistle and my girlfriends guinea pig chirps. I think they are normally quiet to not attract attention of predators but it isn't like they are incapable of making sound.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:25 AM
    My hamster only made noise when the cat caught him giggle he got a whirlwind tour of the house courtesy of the cat we did catch the cat and return the hamster to its cage and carried on to live and escape for another year.
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Apr 29, 2007, 04:37 PM
    I have a longhair syrian who does the chirping noise. He is a rescue hamster (yes really) who had an abusive first home. He's a sweetie and doesn't bite, but sometimes he gets scared, and I've noticed that he'll do the chirping noise if he gets startled by a noise or if someone bumps the cage. I think he's just letting me know that he's upset, because usually all I have to do is pet him or say something to him and he'll stop. I know that on more than one occasion he has made the noise for no reason other than to solicit me for treats, so I'm sure it has more than one meaning. ;)
    csussa Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    My friend just got a hamster and when it is walking around it's cage, or is disturped it makes a kind of chirpy, squeek. It is pretty regular. I looked around on hamster sites and they all said hamsters were quiet and none mentioned this noise. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone tell me if it means it is distressed/upset? Unfortuately I don't know what kind of hamster it is as it's not mine.
    Your hamster is fine they just tend to squek for no reason all hamsters are different it could be because it has had to many changes like when you change da litter you don't put the food back were it keeps it it could be a sign of stress but feed it treats it should be OK don't worry.
    My hamster only made a noise when my friend piked him up rong on like da 2nd day I got him and he peed on his hand haha but he's never made a noise from that day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tame a hamster? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a panda hamster names bamboo She's 8 weeks old and I've had her a little over a week, not very long I know She bites a lot and I want to know if there's a way to tame a hamster so they don't bite as much Because I don't like picking her up anymore because I'm afraid she'll bite me and...

My hamster has died [ 6 Answers ]

My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I don't understand why he has gone, I don't think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible...

Brown Bear Hamster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I bought me brown bear hamster yesterday and they told me she is almost 4 month old. Is she to old to be tamed?? Thank you for your answers!! Heidi

Squeaking/Chirping Window A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My windoW A/C unit has started making a squeaking/chirping noise. It started intermittenly but now makes this noise for hours at a time!

View more questions Search