Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tannerpie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Renters Rights in South Florida
    I am renting a condo is Florida and opened some mail by mistake to learn that the owners are behind on their condo fees and being threatened with Foreclosure. What happens to my one year lease if that happens? And how can I be sure I will ever see my $1600 security deposit back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
    First I am not sure that a condo owner can actually be foreclosed just for condo fees, they can put a lien on the property if they are not paid,

But you really have no way to ever be sure you will ever see a deposit back from anyone. Your recourse will be to sue them in civil court for the money if they don't pay it.

First of course there will be months of court for them to place a lien and then go though foreclosure procedure depending on at what point they are in the process.

But if a property is sold at a foreclosure, the lease terminates and is void, so who ever buys it at foreclosure has no obligation to honor the lease.

If it does foreclose, the person is suppose to pay your deposit back, but be realistic, if they lose a condo for fees, they are broke anyway and have no money to pay you, you can of course sue them for the money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters Rights [ 4 Answers ]

What is the legal amount of money that a landlord/manager can ask from a new tenant when signing a lease? For example, is it 1st and last months rent? 1st months rent plus another amount of money for a security deposit? Thanks.

Renters rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in the same place for 3years and now the owner is selling the property. What happens if the property is bought and I move, does the new owners pay me my deposit back that I paid to the old owner, or how does that work?

Renters Rights [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping someone can help. I have rented the same house for the past 6 years. My landlord has just recently sold my house I was renting. I now have to relocate pay all moving costs, Am I responsible to pay him September rent when the house was sold in August. He did not inform me of the house...

Renters Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just signed a rental lease and paid the first months rent plus a sizable security deposit. Two days later she found a bigger and nicer house for the same price. She called the first landlord and explained the situation. The first months rent was returned but none of the deposit. They...

Renters rights [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a large complex and my lease is up for renewal. The new lease is stating the complex will no longer be paying the water, sewer and heat as part of the rental amount. We do not have individual meters, so they will take the total amount due by the entire complex and divide that...

View more questions Search