Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nozrrele143 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Depressed 21 y.o. trapped in college major. Feels meaningless. Thought of suicide
    Basically I got in nyu. Chose business as a major because I was unsure what to do. I'm a junior now and am just as miserable in the business classes as I was freshman year. I did so bad freshman year in business that I could not switch majors. I was trapped. Its sooooo outside my skill set. I have been depressed foir a while. I am o n the verge of failing out.
    I am freaking out. Every day I picture myself doing something different, wishing I was someone else. I am unhappy with what I am doing and feel its too late to change. I couldn't switch majors, and if I left the school it would have to be for somewhere not as good. All I wanted was for my parents to be proud of me. All I seem to be is the up child. Even if I do change what I'm doing and as a result am happier, I'll still be crap in their eyes. I feel lost, and lonely and trapped. I don't know what to do. I don't think I could live with myself If I failed out.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Okay, I don't understand exactly why you can't change majors. It is actually the rare college student who does NOT change majors midway through their studies.

Have you spoken with your academic advisor? Can you ask to change to an undeclared major until you find out what you really like?

Why do you feel that if you change your major you will be "crap" in their eyes? In the end, you are the one who needs to be happy with your life and your career. They will get over it when they see that you are successful in something you like rather than being depressed and suicidal because you think that you have to do something to make them happy rather than making yourself happy.
    Nozrrele143 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Not so much as major than as school. I can't get out of the business school and into the performing arts or liberal arts because of my low gpa. Nothing I can do in nyu right now is non business oriented.

My fear is if I do fail out.
    And even If I don't, I will still be unhappy with myself because corporate work just isn't for me.

If I was going to learn about or do something else I would have to leave and basically start from scratch.

Nowhere I can get into atm will be better thwen where I am schoolwise.
    Everything else my parents will see as a downgrade.

The moe I dissappoint them the worse I feel, I guess because at the same time I'm disappointing myself s well.

The depresion sets in when I see that I am trapped.
    And I feel that I am meaningless. Or/and what I will do in the future is meaningless.
    I feel I am a million miles away from doing anything that I could like or feel fulfilled in doing.
    tbgiles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 08:38 PM
    I understand where you are coming from. It is natural to want the approval of our parents. However, if you parents don't approve of what you are doing, it isn't your problem is it? I mean, I can understand that they wouldn't approve of you if you were a career criminal, but it sounds like you have things together. I would try to do some soul searching right now. I might also guess that your depression and thoughts of suicide are impacting your desire to work and stay in school.
    Keep on keeping on. Life is great when we direct our lives in a direction that makes us happy. Many of us have been in similar situation. Don't give up. See Ya!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 08:52 PM
    So go back to a JR college that will take you, and take a lot of other classes and get your GPA back up and do some other classes.

Look for a good accredited online school and transfer what credits you can and follow a new major.

Just drop out for a year, work and regroup your thinking,

Go to trade school, learn to be a welder, a underwater diver, a truck driver, a plumber ( big money there) or a pipe fitter, Heck go into the military for a tour of duty and come out with some money to start over in school.

So you graduate business school, first note, it does not matter if you were 10th in your class or 1010, it is the dipolma and degree that all ask about, few want to know your GPA after you graduate.
    And you can do a lot with a degree, go into business, get into the insurance field. And many other things.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 29, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Well I was in the same spot only I was 19. It was my soph. year and I was at a GOOD school. Against what my parents wanted I left because I just wasn't happy! At first they were VERY upset and VERY disappointed. But let me tell you I am SO much happier! It is worth it I promise you! They will adjust! You need to do what is best for you! I bet if you showed them this post they would LOVE for you to go somewhere else! Don't be depressed :( it is no fun! Find somewhere you can take classes for a year and get up a good GPA to transfer somewhere :)

I wish you the best. I am now my 2nd semester at a Community College and WOW am I just that much more happy :) Please try it, I promise your parents will adjust. They sound JUST like mine. If you want to talk you can email me
    Kristen
    puppyluv06 Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Apr 29, 2007, 09:31 PM
    When I started in college I was a law major and I switched to Psychology just fine, if your worried that you would be entering the classes too late that shouldn't be a problem, just talk to your advisor.
    And your parents should be happy with you no matter what you do, if they aren't then they really aren't very supportive
    Diamondgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozrrele143
    basically i got in nyu. chose business as a major bc i was unsure what to do. I'm a junior now and am just as miserable in the business classes as i was freshman year. I did so bad freshman year in business that i could not switch majors. I was trapped. Its sooooo outside my skill set. I have been depressed foir a while. I am o n the verge of failing out.
    I am freaking out. Every day I picture myself doing something different, wishing i was someone else. I am unhappy with what i am doing and feel its too late to change. I couldnt switch majors, and if i left the school it would have to be for somewhere not as good. All i wanted was for my parents to be proud of me. All i seem to be is the up child. Even if i do change what im doing and as a result am happier, I;ll still be crap in their eyes. I feel lost, and lonely and trapped. I don;t know what to do. I don't think I could live with myself If I failed out.
    You're so young and have so much ahead of you. I never got to go to college. Your parents love you, if you need to something different to be happy, please tell them.
    If only my son had talked to me or would talk to me, he thinks I don't care about him but I'd do anything to help him, I bet your paretns would too. Please get help
    nina917 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozrrele143
    basically i got in nyu. chose business as a major bc i was unsure what to do. I'm a junior now and am just as miserable in the business classes as i was freshman year. I did so bad freshman year in business that i could not switch majors. I was trapped. Its sooooo outside my skill set. I have been depressed foir a while. I am o n the verge of failing out.
    I am freaking out. Every day I picture myself doing something different, wishing i was someone else. I am unhappy with what i am doing and feel its too late to change. I couldnt switch majors, and if i left the school it would have to be for somewhere not as good. All i wanted was for my parents to be proud of me. All i seem to be is the up child. Even if i do change what im doing and as a result am happier, I;ll still be crap in their eyes. I feel lost, and lonely and trapped. I don;t know what to do. I don't think I could live with myself If I failed out.
    It appears that you are trying to please everyone else but yourself... I stayed in school, graduated, and went to work... then I realized I hate what I was doing! I then went back to school--I decided to go to 2 yr. program instead of a 4 yr again... I love what I do now and despite all the negative people things said about me I am still proud of myself... and that is wayyyyyyy more important----Remember you truly love yourself!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

Severely depressed, mind feels completely gone [ 10 Answers ]

I once heard a theory that for every one negative thing a parent says to their kid, they have to say 17 positive things to make up for it. I'm beginning to believe strongly in that theory. They also say you're not crazy if you know you're crazy. I beg to differ! I posted something once before...

Trapped [ 17 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been married for 9 years to a workaholic. I am fortunate enough to stay home and raise our kids, but I am incredibly lonely! Especially on the weekends, when it is highlighted that I am really a raising our...

View more questions Search