Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dynamite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 02:48 PM
    No dial tone
    Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!
    ssr202 Posts: 12, Reputation: 5

Apr 26, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Your line is apparently working if you are able to receive calls. Check the next option which would be the telephone itself. If you switch phones and it is working then that solves your problem. If not, contact the phone company and they will troubleshoot the line.
    dynamite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Right. I guess that's what I got to do. Worst comes to worst, Bell's charging me $75 for the damage though. I just thought I can go around this cost by doing the repairs myself. Hope this thing works. Hey thanks man! Appreciate the help.
    ssr202 Posts: 12, Reputation: 5

Apr 27, 2007, 11:17 PM
    I hate BellSouth, and that is stating it mildly. Check your bill. You may have selected to have equipment insurance and repair service and just not knew it. It never hurts to check behind the phone company.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
    If you only just activated the line today it may not have actually activated yet. Often times there is still an outgoing line. It's happened to me before. First make sure that it's not just your phone. Hook another one up just to test it. If you still don't have a dialtone by Monday and you know it's not the phone itself, then you should just call Bell and tell them that they haven't activated your phone yet.

If you are in Canada you only have to pay for INSIDE line repairs.

Good luck!

Didi
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Are you using VOIP from local cable company? Often the settings were not enterred into system correctly concerning phone install. Used to work for cable company activating phone service. There are often many screens to go through and some could be missed. Call cable company from another line and request assistance. This can typically be fixed before your done with the call to them.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 29, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Try another phone first, if you have one. If the other phone has the same issue, you can take it one step further before calling Bell. Go outside to the NID. (Small gray or tan box on the side of the house) You will see a section of the box labeled customer access. Unscrew it and there is a test jack in there. Plug your phone into the test jack and see if you have dial tone. If there is no dial tone the call Bell and tell them it is on their end since you have no dial tone at their equipment. Some times, if you use your phone before the actual active date you may get incoming, but no outgoing. Has your activation date already taken place? Let me know if I can help any further. By the way, if you get dial tone outside and the activation date has passed, you have a wire issue inside. Make sure all the wires in the box are clean(copper looks good and not corroded) and the screws are tight. You would also want to check the jack inside for the same thing.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 29, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Go to the Grey outside box where the phone wiring enters the house. Take a working wired phone with you and a flat blade screw driver. Open the NIJ box (Network interface junction) once inside you will see a complete list of directions on how to eliminate the house wiring from the phone systems. They are responsible for dial tone up to this point, you must maintain the wiring past that point, Anyway you will see a jack with a phone plug in it this takes the dial tone from the pole and brings it into your house. Unplug it there. Then plug in your good phone if it works there you have an inside problem(unlikely)with the problem you stated. The newer style nij has a hinge that says open that disconnects the house wiring while revealing the jack to the pole check it at that point..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Try the above stuff.
    And with second phone plugged in, and ringer on.
    Use cellphone or neighbors phone and call house, if it rings busy, may have short.
    Some phones in the old days, polarity was important. Correct eleminates potential problem.
    Check voltage outside and at phone jack should be -48 volts. Red Negative and green should be positive.
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

May 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite
    Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!
    Hi, the best thing to do is to ring your provider, if not from your phone then from another because is only really your provider that will be able to enable your line to work properly. Take care, love and peace anne x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

Dial up connection [ 2 Answers ]

Aoa, I have dial up connection to internet.I can not listen phone calls during internet usage. I want to know that am I called by phone during my web browsing? Is there any program available to know about which Tel Phone calls are coming my during web browsing? Thank you

Dial up box [ 3 Answers ]

When I log on to widnows (WIN ME) the internet connection box opens as well. I don't know why but it's not a pain because I usually do want to connect to the net. BUT.. sometimes I don't want to go on the net so I cancel or close the box. Then after say 5 or 10 minutes it appears again. It mostly...

Automatic dial up [ 2 Answers ]

I have W2000 56modem. I want my computer to automatically dialup so I can go straight to my programs. I know that you have to uncheck the never dial a connection, but mine will not clear or uncheck. What do I do.

View more questions Search