Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jay2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2005, 08:54 PM
    How old to breed
    I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2005, 10:03 PM
    She will not come into season until about 8 months. She can get pregnant then. You may shocked at the creative, strenuous efforts she makes to get loose and go find a male, any male. At 8 months, very few dogs have proven themselves to be the exceptional examples of the breed that should be selected for breeding. They haven't had near the time for personality and physical defects to show. I don't think OFA will accept X-rays for a dog under a year old. AKC has a limit on the ages of the parents to register dogs. No OFA and AKC, and the puppies won't be worth much.

You would be best off spaying her now. If you insist, spend the next year doing serious research on Dachshunds, their problems, and breeding dogs in general. A good place to start is www.akc.org. Be sure to read every word of their page on responsible breeding. Also work with her, seeing what she might be good at. There is much more than the AKC breed standards. You could see how she does in obedience or agility competition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready to breed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old dachshund dotson dog, we have recently found someone who has a female dotson,they want to breed her with my dog. Here's my question,how often does a female dotson go into heat,and aproxmicly when? With me having a male I have no idea. Also they don't want to give us the pick...

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

What breed is our puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

Pet store sold us a "poodle" -- but our Vet and groomer say he is not a poodle; perhaps a Havanese or a mix. Breeder and store owner will not admit an error, and breeder refuses to provide photos of dam and sire. There must be an expert who can identify the breed of this puppy.. . Help!

The decision to breed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles! 1) What is the average size of a litter? 2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a bitch rough collie) 3) What is the best age for a bitch...

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search