Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justhere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 01:21 PM
    How do I get someone committed?
    Just that... how would I get someone committed?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Well... you would have to have a pretty good reason, and you would have to have the person assessed and if the doctor didn't think it was necessary, he wouldn't do it.

Have you ever assisted someone inside a one of these facilities. You would never believe what they are like until you see inside one.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Oh, goodness, Tickle, they are not all that bad!! Not all of them anyway. Some are as nice as luxurious hotels. Believe it or not!

Now, as far as your question, justhere. A doctor has to prove that this person is a danger to himself/herself or others. It also depends on the age of the person you are talking about.

So, a little more detail would be helpful.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
    J-9 I know what I am talking about. My mom was in one, for a couple of months, and it wasn't pleasant for her or me visiting. Some of those people had no idea why they had to line up for their meds every day, the eating arrangements were horrendous and if you didn't have someone to help with a bath, none were offered. This was in the basement of a well established hospital in Toronto and is still there. As far as I know, there aren't any in the Toronto area 'like luxurious hotels'. Don't forget I am in the healthcare sector and I see more then I want to see.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
    If it isn't court ordered, can't the one committed just check themselves out? i.e. Britney Spears
    sadiesmom Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Apr 27, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justhere
    Just that....how would I get someone committed?
    It depends on what state you live in. cantact your local Mental Health Mental Retardation clinic and ask them. They should know about involuntary commitment and 72 hour observation. It has to be signed by a judge and there is paper work you would need to fill out. Also if you do not receive the information you want from MHMR then contact the sheriff's office, that is another place you can go to sign the papers. I hope this helps. The person must be considered a danger to themselves or others to be involuntarily committed. Barbara
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 04:43 AM
    Oh, Tickle, I forgot you live in Canada (if that makes a difference, I am not sure). But a hospital in a basement? That is terrible. Yes, we do have hospitals like that here where I live, I was at one this semester. Those are usually the state run hospitals where people with no insurance or very little money go. That is also where the criminally insane are hospitalized. Yet we have some private hospitals for those that have insurance that are extremely luxurious.

My father was in one that was like living at a country club. Beautiful buildings, rolling landscape, and gorgeous architecture. The living quarters were just as nice. That was in Michigan. There are a few like that here in Tennesse where I live also.

So, I suppose it is all a matter of location and insurance and funds as to what kind of hospital you can go to.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I wanted to show the OP that not all are that bad. I guess it is just a matter of location, location, location. (and funds of course)
    mreet39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Oh, goodness, Tickle, they are not all that bad!!! Not all of them anyway. Some are as nice as luxurious hotels. Believe it or not!!

Now, as far as your question, justhere. A doctor has to prove that this person is a danger to himself/herself or others. It also depends on the age of the person you are talking about.

So, a little more detail would be helpful.
    My daughter who was diagnosed Manic Depressive years ago and does not take her medication has gone too far this time. She called the police dept in KalKota India and reported that my other daughter (who is doing volunteer tutoring in India) was envolved in illegal financial activities. My other daughter is truly frightened . She is supposed to leave for China on the 27th of this month for more tutoring of Chinese children. The police have called her and have her phone tapped and her computer monitored. This is outrageous. She promised my daughter in India she was going to hut her and now she has. What can I do?
    mreet39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mreet39 View Post
    My daughter who was diagnosed Manic Depressive years ago and does not take her medication has gone too far this time. She called the police dept in KalKota India and reported that my other daughter (who is doing volunteer tutoring in India) was envolved in illegal financial activities. My other daughter is truly frightened . She is supposed to leave for China on the 27th of this month for more tutoring of Chinese children. The police have called her and have her phone tapped and her computer monitored. This is outrageous. She promised my daughter in India she was going to hut her and now she has. What can I do?
    My daughter who is Manic Depressive is 51 yrs old and has sent many abusive emails to both me and my other daughter
    belgia Posts: 40, Reputation: 8

Dec 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
    I have a question. I have been evaluated and do have some bouts of depression but not as bad as they used to be and I am NOT suicidal. I have to wait for my insurance kicks in to get therapy. I know what my issues are. Some from unresolved childhood and adult issues and some require behavior modification. I know this. My "family" says they have diagnosed me and want to have me committed. How is that possible? I know I cannot go through treatment and have contact with them. It would not be beneficial at all and I think that is what they are more upset about. They are under a lot of assumptions based on their own issues/illnesses and self diagnosis. It is confusing but true. I need to be accountable for me. Can they do this?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by belgia View Post
    I have a question. I have been evaluated and do have some bouts of depression but not as bad as they used to be and I am NOT suicidal. I have to wait for my insurance kicks in to get therapy. I know what my issues are. Some from unresolved childhood and adult issues and some require behavior modification. I know this. My "family" says they have diagnosed me and want to have me committed. How is that possible? I know I cannot go through treatment and have contact with them. It would not be beneficial at all and I think that is what they are more upset about. They are under alot of assumptions based on their own issues/illnesses and self diagnosis. It is confusing but true. I need to be accountable for me. Can they do this?
    Are you an adult? If so, involuntary commitments are difficult to obtain. Although the statutory wording will vary from state to state the central theme is that the subject must pose a danger to self or others. [In fact, even voluntary commitments are difficult to obtain.]

Short term observation is a slightly but not much different issue. Police, medical doctors, and mental health professionals from various fields can request an emergency psychiatric evaluation. Few are willing to do so... because detention against one's will is a serious violation of individual rights. Seldom done except with clear and convincing evidence of the danger to self or others. If committed for evaluation the period cannot exceed 72 hours. Any extension beyond that must be requested for cause and based on the statements of two (2) separate psychiatrists.

Involuntary commitments seldom occur except in extreme emergency cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get someone committed? [ 22 Answers ]

My mother has had clinical depression for as long as I can remember but she has also been aggressive, threatening and vindictive for that long too. She does things to people in the family that I wouldn't even want to type here and then thinks that THEY are in the wrong. She is a threat to herself...

Does this mean he's not committed? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I (both 19) have been dating for a yr and a half. He plays hockey so if gone for the season. Hes drafted and is really concentrating on hockey. Meanwhile I'm really concentrating on my career. We've talked about making plans in the next yr (like sky diving and such), however,...

View more questions Search