Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Hot Water Tank Connectors
    Are these 2 setups okay for hot water tanks? Just want to confirm that CPVC is allowed to be used as a connector and that the shut off valves are okay also.

3/4" CPVC is used on one tank and 1/2" CPVC on the other. Is this okay?

If any of this wrong, please quote the code to correct it in International Plumbing Code 2006.
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 07:05 AM
    >shudders<

I'm not a big fan of CPVC, of hard piping H/W tanks or installing shut-offs on the hot outlet of the tank.

Are the tanks strapped to the walls with approved earthquake strapping kits?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Ahh! A Rube Goldberg School of Plumbing graduate. We run into them every now and then.
    While I "hard pipe" water geaters I can see no advantage in installing a shut off on the hot water outlet when the same action can be accomplished by shutting off the cold water to the heater. Closed, this just gives the hot water one less area to expand to and if the asker has a check valve or a backflow preventer installed it guarantees spillage out the T & P valve.

"3/4" CPVC is used on one tank and 1/2" CPVC on the other. Is this okay?"
    It's Ok if you haven't got more then three fixtures connected to it.
    Our local codes prohibit connecting more then three fixtures on a 1/2" branch.
    Supplying a house with 1/2" will work but can present a volume and pressure problem if too many are used at the same time.
    Growler, I'm a little confused. You asked," Are the tanks strapped to the walls with approved earthquake strapping kits?"
    Earthquake strapping kits in Ohio. Was this put into code after the Great Cleveland Quake of?? I forget, what year was that quake anyhow? Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 10:11 AM
    When it comes to earthquakes, there is no place to hide. The New Madrid fault is long over due to let loose. When it comes, Cleveland should be OK, but some parts of Ohio will be worse for the wear. I am a long ways from any known, active fault, but I have a strap on my hot water heater. It is not ''approved'', but quite sturdy.
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I took your comments into consideration and have redone the supply lines. I was told by a local plumber that the first 18" out of the tank has to be copper.

The odds of an earthquake here are extremely low (I've never heard of any type of noticeable earthquake every happening here) so I've elected to have the copper be to hard piped.

I also eliminated the hot water shut off valve. Each tank supplies 2 small apartments. The 2 shut off valves you see control the hot and cold to ONE of the apartments. There are 2 more shut off valves out of the picture that control the other apartment.

Any issue with having the leg off the relief valve being CPVC? Any other noticeable errors?

My area is governed by International Plumbing Code 2003. Thanks for helping me reform my Rube Goldberg setup.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Hot Water Tank [ 3 Answers ]

Our gas bill has been extremely high and the hot water in the sink takes about 2 to 2.5 minutes to get hot. The gas guy came by and said that the hot water tank is clogged up. Is it anything I can do before I put a lot of money. Thanks a lot if someone can help

Hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

When taking a shower the water get hot and cold every second. Can any tell me the problem.

View more questions Search