Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shughes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Mennonites Exempt from Social Security
    I have a client that is Mennonite and employees mennonites and the employer claims that as an employer he must pay the employer portion of the social security and medicare on the total wages but his employee is not subject to the social security and medicare being withheld.

I can not find any where in the social security act that this is the case. Does anyone know the rule or can you tell me where to find out how this should be taken care. I would like documantion for my files for future reference.

I need to process the quarter end reposts soon.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

May 2, 2007, 08:56 PM
    I would contact a CPA to help you, that would be fastest. Or, of course, the SS administration.
    Ashland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Apparently, the employer has a misconception regarding how the social security exemption works. In my accounting practice I have many Mennonite clients with Mennonite employees.

First of all, the employer must have filed and received approval for Form 4029 (available on the IRS website). Furthermore, each employee that claims exemption must have also filed and received approval for Form 4029.

If this has taken place, the employer IS NOT LIABLE for the employer portion of the social security/Medicare employment tax, and the tax is not to be withheld from the employee.

Most of the rules regarding this are summarized in the instructions for Form 4029.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment [ 25 Answers ]

For your information about Social Security Benfits Safe from Garnishment Federal law makes Social Security benifits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or...

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social Security Benefits are exempt from Levy [ 0 Answers ]

For your information about Social Security Benefits Safe from Garnishment Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or...

Social Security Refund [ 0 Answers ]

I am a foreign national and living in overseas. I was in USA from 1988 to 2001/2002 on F1 (student) and H1 (work visa) . I moved out of USA in 2001/2002. During that period I always worked and my previous employers withhold my Social Security and Medicare taxes. I understand that I can get the...

Social security refund [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I are citizens of India. We've been green card holders for 2+ yrs now. If we decide to go back to India next year, essentially giving up our green cards, can we get a refund of the social security amount (the principal we have been paying) when we go back? We should be...

View more questions Search