Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregwaters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Re set my laptop to factory settings
    Hi can anyone tell me how to reset a laptop to its factory setting if you have none of the original discs all I have is the laptop and want to get rid of all the excess junk on it
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
    If you don't have the original restore disc's for your machine then this isn't possible.
    Saying that if you're only issue is it running badly then its time for some serious maintenance.

Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    the obe in trouble Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Well I'm having somewhat of the same problem when ever I try to play games on my laptop this spyware advertisement to erase it and use it. This also happens when I open my internet browser
    danm261291 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregwaters
    hi can anyone tell me how to reset a laptop to its factory setting if you have none of the original discs all I have is the laptop and want to get rid of all the excess junk on it
    On some computers there is a recovery program on the machines hard drive (normally on a hidden partition). Also some computers have a program for creating your own recovery disc. Check your computers manual, or try looking for such a program in the start menu. It is also sometimes possible to order recovery discs from the manufacture or store you brought your machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Factory overhead cost [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I need someone to help me figure this out. Please I have started am I doing it correctly? The estimated total factory overhead cost and total machine hours for Department 40 for the current year are $225,000 and 56,250 respectively. During January, the first month of the current year,...

Shoot-set and Quick-set Combo [ 2 Answers ]

I have not seen this yet, but I haven't seen everything... lol I was thinking that these two misdirection sets could be used in a single play because the quick-set causes the opponent to position, dig-in, and focus on the quick-set hitter, but the ball could be shoot-set along the net for anyone...

How do I set up a clone monitor to laptop? [ 4 Answers ]

I was able to plug a monitor into my Dell laptop and both showed the same images. Today I pluged in a monitor and it did not work. I checked out the monitor on a PC and it works. I was able go to "Display settings" and get it to work as an extended monitor(I can drag stuff over to it), but what I...

View more questions Search