Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magzofelle Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Limited or no connectivity
    Hi I'm in dire need of help!
    Just yesterday I was on the internet on my laptop when all of a sudden I a message appeared saying I had limited or no connectivity although I was still had full excellent signal. The problem is not with my router or service provider as my flatmates are still able to successfully connect to the internet through the same router so the problem must lie with the settings of my own laptop. I have tried to "repair" the problem but a message appears saying I am unable to renew an IP address. I am completely lost without my internet and have little knowledge of computers. I have contacted Virgin Media, my internet provider, but they say there is nothing they can do because the problem is with my laptop and not the connection.

Does anyone one how I can resolve this issue quickly?:confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Quickly? Probably not because it's a cryptic message. Usually it does indeed mean that you cannot obtain an IP address. Does your laptop have a static IP? Did they recently rebuild the network and set an IP range that does not include yours?

Apr 26, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Eh I'm not sure if I have a static IP, I wouldn't have a clue how to find out! Its possible that they hve recently rebuilt the network as the company has been rcently been taken over.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 26, 2007, 05:49 AM
    In that case go and talk to the IT department.

Apr 26, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Its my home laptop, I donlt have an IT department to ask for help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2007, 06:01 AM
    What version of Windows?

Apr 26, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Windows XP Home Edition

Apr 26, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Go to Start/Run and type CMD. In the command window that opens type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Make a note of your IP address. Then type

IPCONFIG /REFRESH

Make a note of what the results are. See if your connection improves and report back. Also make sure you do a virus and spyware scan.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
    I don't understand how the company being taken over has anything to do with your laptop problems. Is it your personal laptop or the company's? Is it a home network that you set up or is it the company's?

Apr 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Apparently my IP address is 0.0.0.0

When I typed in IPCONFIG/REFRESH it said "error: unrecognised or incomplete command line"

Apr 26, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Its my own laptop set up in a home network, it has been working fine with no problems for about 8 months and then all of a sudden I have 'limited or no connectivity'?! I donlt understand it

Apr 26, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Ok, That you IP is all zeros means that your computer is not getting to the router. Sorry, I gave you the wrong command. Try:

IPCONFIG /Renew

If that doesn't work, try Pinging your router by typing

PING 192.168.1.1

That's usually the router address.

Apr 26, 2007, 07:02 AM
    OK, IP address is now coming up as 'Autoconfiguration IP Address 169.254.166.63'

When I typed IPCONFIG/Renew, it said "no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"

I then tried the ping thing, but it repeatedly told me 'destination host unreachable'
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Here's a good read: Solved: IP address issue - Tech Support Guy Forums

Apr 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Ok, The problem is your system is not connecting with the router. So now you have to figure out why. The first thing to check is whether youa re connecting to the correct network. Right click your network icon in the tray and check the status. Under Network, it gives the SSID of the network you are connected to. If that's not correct. Use View Available networks and connect to the correct one.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 26, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Pssst after a quick reread this memebr is in UK on a Cable connection.
    Now are you using USB or Ethernet connection (Normal telephone like cable) ?
    Have you got anything else connected to your cable modem ?
    If you have how does the laptop connect to the cable modem ?
    Do you have a router of any type ?/

Apr 26, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Eh all I know is that its wireless. There's an ethernet cable but that's plugged into the router

Apr 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Rite, I'm not sure what SSID is, but the network I am connected to is called MYWAN which is definitely my network

Apr 26, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Yeah there's a white cable also plugged into the modem but I think that is the phone line or something. Then there's an ethernet cabel running between the modem and the router

Apr 26, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Do you know if you mates changed any of the security settings on the router? If not. I would try removing the Lan Connection (in Control Panel), rebooting and recreating it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network connectivity over WAN traffic [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Guys, This is Tushar. Working as Network Engineer. I have one private network at our office. And our branch office is at Bangalore. Our main office is connected to internet traffic with the help of D-link ADSL wireless router while branch office conectd to internet with the help of...

Laptop - Limited or No connectivity [ 14 Answers ]

Hello. I am so frustrated I think my eyeballs will explode. I am a computer novice so I will just tell you all that I know. My computer is the main one which in turn connects my brothers computer to the internet but I am now having trouble connecting my Laptop. So at the moment, 2 out of 3...

Connectivity [ 3 Answers ]

I was uploading quite a bit of material (novel) yesterday and about half way through uploading the chapters, it stopped uploading them and flashed a note that I needed to chick my connectivity. I use a Gateway computer and AOL software. Can you explain to me how I go about checking for...

Laptop to Desk top connectivity [ 3 Answers ]

What sort of hardware must be installed in the desk top? Can a wireless card be used with a USB connection. Or must I use a router?

AOL Connectivity [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having an issue with AOL 9.0 Security Edition. For some reason over the past month I have been getting kicked off it constantly. At first it happened infrequently but now it happens ever few minutes and is to the point where it is not usable at all. I had no issues before the past...

View more questions Search