Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SteveAP Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Water Service
    Hi I have a Galvanized water service and there is a leak between the curb stop and the house before the meter underground. What type of repair is needed to the pipe without replacement of the whole run to the street, is there a transition fitting that can be used that is within the codes.

Thank You.
    Steve
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Apr 26, 2007, 03:38 AM
    Steve
    The hard part about reparing a galvanized water service is getting to it. Be careful when you are digging it up as the pipe is brittle and will break if hit with a shovel or pick.
    The repair is simple.
    If it is just a hole in the side you can use what is called a Skinner clamp. It has a rubber seal covered with a stainless steel cover. The whole unit is bolted tight onto the pipe. Just make sure you clean all the dirt and rust off the outside of the pipe first. Use a file and emery cloth to clean the pipe.

If a section of the pipe has to be replaced you just cut out the bad section with a hack saw. Transition couplings to copper are easy to get at any plumbing supply company. A coupling at both ends the use a piece of Type "K" copper in between. If your not sure the size take the piece of galvanized pipe with you to the plumbing store. Sizing of galvanized pipe is tricky if you haven't worked with it a lot.
    Good Luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 07:51 AM
    In the Tampa Bay Area we quit using galvanized when PVC came out. Galvanized will build up rust and cut down on the volume and pressure. I know, I have a galvanized water service that I have to replace. My advice would b e to replace the service with PVC. Good luck, Tom

Apr 27, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    Steve
    The hard part about reparing a galvinized water service is getting to it. Be careful when you are digging it up as the pipe is brittle and will break if hit with a shovel or pick.
    The repair is simple.
    If it is just a hole in the side you can use what is called a Skinner clamp. It has a rubber seal covered with a stainless steel cover. The whole unit is bolted tight onto the pipe. Just make sure you clean all the dirt and rust off the outside of the pipe first. Use a file and emery cloth to clean the pipe.

If a section of the pipe has to be replaced you just cut out the bad section with a hack saw. Transition couplings to copper are easy to get at any plumbing supply company. A coupling at both ends the use a piece of Type "K" copper in between. If your not sure the size take the piece of galvinized pipe with you to the plumbing store. Sizing of galvinized pipe is tricky if you haven't worked with it a lot.
    Good Luck
    Thanks Ken; But the code in the area said I had to go back with Galv. Pipe and coupling, we got lucky the hole in the pipe was right next to the curb stop and we cut the pipe behind the old coupling from when they upgraded the public supply in the street.

Thanks Steve.

Apr 27, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    In the Tampa Bay Area we quit using galvanized when PVC came out. Galvanized will build up rust and cut down on the volume and pressure. I know, I have a galvanized water service that I have to replace. My advice would b e to replace the service with PVC. Good luck, Tom

Speedball; The code enforcement officer will not allow any changes or mixed materials with a minor repair.
    Thanks anyway
    Steve
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAP
    Speedball; The code enforcement officer will not allow any changes or mixed materials with a minor repair.
    Thanks anyway
    Steve
    If this should happen again but in a less convenient spot, you can also use a Dressler coupling to make the repair.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged water supply (service line) [ 12 Answers ]

The pressure coming into my house is 40psi,but when I flush the toilet the pressure drops to 15psi. The private water company is telling me the service line is probably clogged with manganese. They also tell me this is my responsibility since I own the service line. The manganese comes from the...

Service pack 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I currently have Service pack 1 and want to go to Service pack 2 but don't know how. Could someone please tell me how? Thanks

Locator service [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find someone but have few leads. Does anyone know of an on-line service that charges a fee for finding someone that is legitimate & not a rip off? Thks noboat

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

View more questions Search