Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkennedy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Motorcycle accident
    I was involved in a motorcycle accident in Sept of 06 that was not my fault. The other party was cited with hit-skip, no drivers license and left into approaching traffic. I suffered a torn ACL, and other tears in my left knee. I also had 11 stichs in my chin, a bruised right lung and a deep bone bruise. These injuries have put me out of work for 10 months. I was told that the faulting parties insurance only covers $25,000 medical and I do have under insured insurance. I was told that the most money I could get would be $50,000. This does not seem right to me since I had major knee surgery that could cost me my career not to mention my medical bills are around $60,000. Can anyone give me some advise.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Lawsuit time. I would think you could recover some damages directly from the guy at fault. I suggest you contact a lawyer to see what your options. Of course, if the other guy has little or no assets it may not be worth the expense and aggravation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
    You need to hope the person who hit you has a lot of money in the bank,

Their policy, your policy, my policy has limits, maximums they will pay per accident, per person, for medical, and so on. You can collect under the other persons liability if you sue them, and not just under their medical coverage. Next who told you that ? Since med pay is normally the amount coverage pays for someone in their car, and your medical, your loss of work, your motorccyle will all be paid as a gneral liability claim agaisn the max their policy pays per person per accident ( that may well be 50,000) which is a lower amount many people carry.
    ** and to be honest with all the uninsured people out there, you were really lucky they had insurance to any bills.

But what you do is sue them and try to collect from what they have in the bank, garnish their pay check and so on. ( but again, if they make 8 bucks a hour at KFC and rents a mobile home, it is not even worth trying.
    So what you need to do is find the limits of their policy so you know what the maxs will be.

Plus I guess I have to ask what type of work you did, and why you can't work, And perhaps you will need to find a new line of work or get your old company to give you accomidations to do your job.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 26, 2007, 07:00 PM
    You would max out their liability limits, then when that occurs, you would max out your UMBI (Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury coverage) limits, and anything over that you would need to pursue legally the at fault party personally for your lost wages, medical expenses. Like another responder answered, all policies have limits and necessarily so. The at fault party's pol has limts and so do your UMBI coverage you apparently purchased. You don't say what State you are a legal resident of and you don't say what State the at fault party is a legal resident of so please understand my answer is based on you and him/her both living in the more common type of State where the law dictates that at fault party is reponsbile for injuries to another instead of the kind of State that has "no fault" auto insurance laws. There are different varieties of no fault from State to State and even other differences. With the extent and degree of your injuries, I would seek legal representation right away to assure me that I was making the right decision in pursuing the most money that was available (and within the time frame specified by the statute of limitations set forth in your State law. )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear Protection under Motorcycle helmet [ 8 Answers ]

We are long distance touring motorcylists who wear open face helmets with face shields. We use ear plugs usually but are discovering that all day use hurts the ears. I have investigated passive ear muffs but find that they do not fit well under a helmet. I have also investigated noise cancelling...

Any motorcycle riders on this site? [ 12 Answers ]

The picture... ! V I was just wondering if anyone else that uses this site enjoys riding a motorcycle like I do? Any type at all... if there are a few maybe we'll even let somebody that rides a scooter participate, lol.

Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking...

Motorcycle helmets [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently doing a research paper in my english class and the topic is should people wear motorcycle helmets? Its not a law in every state but should it be? Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!! :o

Motorcycle accident [ 1 Answers ]

I had a motorcycle accident around three and hafl years ago. I lost consciousness for nine days. After gaining consciousness, I have experienced three major problems: 1- Loss of smell 2- Both my right hand and right leg can hardly work, my leg becomes heavy when I walk and my hand can hardly...

View more questions Search