Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wgk-eagle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Is this Roof Damage Covered?
    Some background:

Last summer my Mom's house (in another city) was damaged in a wide spread hail storm area. She noticed dent damage

On an aluminum awning and I asked her to call the insurance people to come out and look. They sent out an adjuster

Who inspected and told her the asphalt shingled parts of her roof needed to be replaced due to hail damage as well as

Two awnings. He wrote her a check on the spot. The scope of work to be done did NOT include replacing a flat

Portion (rubber membrane) covering her porch roof.

We got three estimates. Contractor A told us the flat roof was in good shape, no problems to be concerned about.

Contractor B said the rubber membrane was in good shape but that their work would include "re-sealing the (over)laps"

In the rubber. Contractor C told us that since the rubber roof was more than 10 years old, he recommended replacing

The rubber and quoted a cost of $1260 to do so.

We selected Contractor B, who had done work for my sister, the bidder who said the flat roof was OK but would re-seal

The (seams) laps.

Due to scheduling, the repair could not be completed until this spring, but we wrote on the proposal to have the

Contractor inspect the roof and assure my Mom that it wouldn't be a problem for the work to wait until after the

Winter. They put some band-aid fixes on a couple areas, according to their verbal report to my Mom before the

Winter.

What happened:

In April, Contractor B removed and replaced the asphalt shingled area of the roof. After completing this and being

Paid, he told my Mom that the flat porch roof "needed to be rebuilt" and that he would provide a proposal to do so.

I spoke with him by phone and reminded him that they had told us that the flat rubber roof was good-to-go but that

They would be resealing the laps. He told me that he thought that "the weight of the snow on the flat roof during

the winter caused damage". After a week, he sent my Mom a new proposal (which I haven't yet seen) to do the flat

Porch roof work for an additional $2900.

My mother is stunned and so am I.

The question is: Will the insurance company cover this new expense for the flat roof?
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 31, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wgk-eagle
    Some background:

Last summer my Mom's house (in another city) was damaged in a wide spread hail storm area. She noticed dent damage

on an aluminum awning and I asked her to call the insurance people to come out and look. They sent out an adjuster

who inspected and told her the asphalt shingled parts of her roof needed to be replaced due to hail damage as well as

two awnings. He wrote her a check on the spot. The scope of work to be done did NOT include replacing a flat

portion (rubber membrane) covering her porch roof.

We got three estimates. Contractor A told us the flat roof was in good shape, no problems to be concerned about.

Contractor B said the rubber membrane was in good shape but that their work would include "re-sealing the (over)laps"

in the rubber. Contractor C told us that since the rubber roof was more than 10 years old, he recommended replacing

the rubber and quoted a cost of $1260 to do so.

We selected Contractor B, who had done work for my sister, the bidder who said the flat roof was OK but would re-seal

the (seams) laps.

Due to scheduling, the repair could not be completed until this spring, but we wrote on the proposal to have the

contractor inspect the roof and assure my Mom that it wouldn't be a problem for the work to wait until after the

winter. They put some band-aid fixes on a couple areas, according to their verbal report to my Mom before the

winter.

What happened:

In April, Contractor B removed and replaced the asphalt shingled area of the roof. After completing this and being

paid, he told my Mom that the flat porch roof "needed to be rebuilt" and that he would provide a proposal to do so.

I spoke with him by phone and reminded him that they had told us that the flat rubber roof was good-to-go but that

they would be resealing the laps. He told me that he thought that "the weight of the snow on the flat roof during

the winter caused damage". After a week, he sent my Mom a new proposal (which I haven't yet seen) to do the flat

porch roof work for an additional $2900.

My mother is stunned and so am I.

The question is: Will the insurance company cover this new expense for the flat roof?
    Sounds a little hokey to me, Contact the insurance company, they may pay but probably noty under the original claim.
    DavidKB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I would not use that same contractor again. He sounds fishing to me...
    Why don't you have the contractor C fix it , his estimate sounds better too... $1260...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 07:20 PM

I doubt if the insurance company will pay anything toward the flat roof, they did not agree to it last year so why would they now. This sounds like new damage not from the storm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Covered patio [ 1 Answers ]

I have been wanting to do a covered area of around part of my pool for sometime now. My backyard is quite small - the pool deck starts at the house and ends at the back fence. This will require me to put my posts on my pool deck. It is a cool deck (I think that's the right kind), it looks kind...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

I am covered in freckles is there anything I can do to dull them down? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm covered in freckles from head to toe Is there anything that will dull them down or get rid of them? :confused:

What is it, and why is it covered? [ 28 Answers ]

For the past couple of years now of walking my dog around the neighborhood, I can't help but wonder what is this upside down U-shaped tube thing in everybody's yard. It is wrapped sometimes with what looks like a black garbage bag and some are wrapped with a thick tape. What is this thing?...

View more questions Search