Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 25, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Loan Consolidation
    My fiancé is going to school online and he is to graduate soon. We get phone calls and letters ALL the time about loan consolidation from different companies. Some even offering to pay him money to go with their company. Is this for real? What do they get out of this? They say the rates will change in July so he needs to lock in before that. I'm just a little confused about the whole thing. They are like vultures.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 25, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk
    They are like vultures.
    Yes, yes they are!

Most loan consolidation companies will add a much higher rate of interest than normal, or put the loan over a much longer period, both ways taking more money from you!

If you can avoid them, then do!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Rates are going up. A reputable Loan consolidation will take the outstanding loans and lump them together under one. Usually at a favorable interest rate. My daughter has saved considerably by consolidating.

The advantage to the lenders is that these are guaranteed loans, subsidized by the govt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Consolidation [ 1 Answers ]

Do debt consolidation agencies really help? If I have a credit score of around 535 and improving slowly on my own, will it help to go to a debt consolidation agent. I'd like to buy a house fairly soon and wonder if these kinds of agencies can help pretty quickly. Also wasn't sure if they were...

Does Debt Consolidation Loan Hurt Credit? [ 5 Answers ]

Does a Debt Consolidation Loan hurt your credit if you close the accounts and pay just a loan to a bank?

Bankruptcy vs Loan Consolidation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cousin who is 25 years old and wants to file bankruptcy. He has debt but it is around $10,000. He is not a stable kid. He can't keep a steady job and when he does work he doesn't work full time and of course doesn't make very much money. I guess he has talked to loan consolidators...

Consolidation Loan? [ 8 Answers ]

I have three credit cards of about $1000 each. They are at such a high interest rate that it seems like I am caught in their grip. I would like to have one payment that I can pay and see the amount go lower each month. If consolidation is the way to go, where do I find the best source to do...

View more questions Search