Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jojogar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 04:29 AM
    Slow ice maker
    My ice maker is slow in making ice, what's wrong?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 06:42 AM
    How long do you think this process should take? 30 to 45 minutes per cycle isn't uncommon. If your temp is set to at least 0 degrees F the process will go faster.
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
    The above answer is correct, but since most people don't have a freezer thermometer, let me clarify. You did not say is where the appliance is located. If it's in your kitchen and the ambient temperature is around 70 degrees, then you should be able to get batch of ice like ballengerb1 suggested, IF your condenser coils are clean. But if your kitchen is 90 degrees or it's fridge kept in the garage at a high temp then it may take a long time or may not make any batch at all.
    And to confuse the issue even more, and I know this from personal experience, when a fridge is in a cold environment around 35 to 40 degrees, like in the winter, then the thermostat won't cycle correctly and you won't get proper icemaker functioning either.:eek:
    Ralph
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 26, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Put a thermometer inside the freezer for at least one hour. The temperature should be 0 - 10 degrees. If not check the temperature in the refrigerator itself. If the temperature in the refrigerator is high you'll need to see if its because the thermostat is set to high or is it because you have a refrigeration problem. If the thermostat is set cold enough and the temperature is to warm, listen for the compressor, does it shut off or not? If it does shut off the compressor, you have a defective thermostat, if it continues to run and doesn't shut off you have a refrigeration problem or a defrost problem. ( assuming you have a clean condenser coil )

If your freezer stays between 0 to 10 degrees you probably have a problem in your ice maker. The only thing you can do is to pull the ice maker out of the freezer for a day or two and let it dry out. This may sound stupid but sometimes water gets built up inside the ice maker control box and motor during the defrost cycle and will slow down the production.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice maker won't make ice [ 7 Answers ]

Im sure someone messed with this thing. But it's a kenmore side by side fridge about a 1 1/2 years old. Putting the arm in the down positions usually triggers that unit to fill the aisle with water and then proceeds to freeze to make ice. Well that's not happening and I can't find the manual at...

GE Gold refrigerator ice maker leaking into the ice tub [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old GE Gold stacked refrigerator/freezer. The ice maker is leaking into the ice bin. The leak is a slow, constant drip that freezes into an icesicle. Annoying. Any advice would be appreciated ! :confused:

Ice maker [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore refrigerator who's ice maker has stopped making ice. It is only 1 yr old. I have changed the filter and still no ice. Any clues?

Ice Maker [ 2 Answers ]

My icemaker in freezer of ref. quit working. I checked the arm and it seems to be OK. Any ideas on troubleshooting unit appreciated.

Ice Maker Won't Make Ice on its Own [ 0 Answers ]

In addition to the jacuzzi issue, my ice maker won't produce ice on its own. The family who lived here before me never had it connected; the refrigerator is not quite 2 years old. It's a Kitchen-Aid. If I fill up the tray with water, it eventually freezes and the ice is released. I can hear water...

View more questions Search