Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ikjohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Correct Title for residents of Shanghai
    If residents of New York are known as New Yorkers, and residents of Paris are known as Parisians, what would residents of Shanghai be called?
    I have received a document for comment that refers to Shanghai residents as "Shanghainese", but I would have thought this refers to the language that those of Shanghai speak. Any thoughts on this one?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:15 AM
    It sounds to me like it would work as a title for the people also.

What about Shanghaians?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 12:18 AM
    I think you should use Shanghainese...

People from France are called French and speak French, it's not an uncommon thing for language name and the demonym to be the same - there are many examples of this.

Read this: Demonym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fallen Angel song? What is the correct title and artist? [ 5 Answers ]

Looking up the "Interview with the Vampire" soundtrack on LimeWire, the song "Fallen Angel" pops up. It is approximatly 1:50, and it is only half of the song. :confused: I can't seem to find the correct song title or artist and it is really annoying me. I've tried everything I have thought of...

401(k) for non-residents [ 1 Answers ]

I'm retiring (62) after 10 years in NY and will become a NRA living in Spain as of 1/1/07. In order to avoid paying taxes on any withdrawal of my 401(k) I am proposing to do a direct rollover to an IRA and then purchase from there an immediate annuity period certain (say 5 years) without, I...

US Residents over 18: Don't forget to vote! [ 11 Answers ]

And don't forget the new voting schedule! Republicans vote today. Democrats vote tomorrow. :p :p Just kidding :p :eek: Get out there and vote today, all of you!!

Canadians divorcing in Shanghai [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get a divorce if both my wife and myself work and reside in Shanghai? We are both Canadian citizens, wondering if we will have to go back to Canada to file for our divorce or can we get it done here in Shanghai? Any information is greatly appreciated

View more questions Search