Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Microhood vent to outside
    I have a couple quick (hopefully easy) venting questions and I'll provide more details as requested. 1) how does one go about connecting 3 1/4" x 10" ducting together? I want to make a short flange piece that feeds from the inside of the kitchen wall (behind the microhood) heading outside where it will mate with a standard aluminum 3 1/4" x 10" range hood damper. My hope is to allow the damper to slide snugly over the interior flange thus making it easy in the future to either re-side the house, replace the damper if damaged, etc. without having to pull the microwave down. Interestingly, the install instructions for exterior venting are VERY limited as written by the manufacturer. Also the "adaptor/damper" that is supplied with the unit is smaller than the 3 1/4" x 10" standard so there is no good fit between them at all. Very frustrating. I wanted to vent up, but no go. Straight out the back is the best way and is on an easy, exterior wall. Short run. With my flange plan I can then simply run some foam weatherstrip around the perimeter of the m-wave exhaust or the exterior vent flange to nicely seal the small space. I just don't know how to connect the ducting together since the all seem to butt against each other not sleeve inside one another.

Biggest issue (and the second question) is how to attach or vent through the wall with what's readily available.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 03:23 PM
    You will be better served if you take the parts you are trying to put together and go to a local sheet metal shop. They will know exactly what you need and will probably have it in stock. This will save you a big headache.

As a side note you probably need S and drives to put it together but with out being there and seeing it I would not know for sure.
    4848 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I would like to thank -you for your help answer's you have given us will help us thank-you again.I f I need help again I will ask .
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 04:00 PM
    HVAC1000 wrote: "As a side note you probably need S and drives to put it together"

What are "S and drives"?

Thanks for the good advice. I will find a sheet metal shop for help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
    They are special fittings of the HVAC trade used to connect duct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Microhood installation [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to upgrade my kitchen & I want to replace my fan hood with an over the stove microwave oven. The fan hood that is now in place vents to the outside through the house wall. The cabinet over the fan is 18 inches high and I plan to replace it with a 12 inch cabinet to accommodate the...

Microhood install [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a microhood and the install guidel recommends a dedicated line with 20 amp circuit. The microhood is rated at 1100 watts. Can I use a 15 amp circuit. Only other thing running are some garage lights. Thanks for the help.

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

View more questions Search